Anthrax in Val Verde County 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like another anthrax year. Found this on a couple of places including the Devil's River State Natural Area facebook page.

Anthrax Outbreak
    July 17, 2021 - Portions of West Texas (including Devils River State Natural Area) are currently experiencing a natural Anthrax outbreak. It's very rare for people to contract this disease in North America. However, you should still be cautious.

If you visit the Natural Area, do not touch dead wildlife and immediately report carcasses to park staff. Also, be sure to wear plenty of insect repellent, as deer flies can possibly transmit this infectious disease.

Contact the Natural Area for more information at 830-395-2133

Why does this area get hit with anthrax so much?

Comment

Originally posted by Hatfield View Post
      Why does this area get hit with anthrax so much?
      It happens when it gets the right amount of rain.

Comment

That's unfortunate..

Comment

Oh snap, exactly what I feared with all the spring rains.

My deer at the feeder pics are lower than I’d expect for the lease (Kinney county). But this is the first year I’ve run sat cams in the off season out there.
          I’ve got my fingers crossed they are corn shy due to all the other green goodies to eat and my only throwing a small 3 second spin.

Prayers up his will be done.

I still have a few showing up periodically so there’s that.
          One buck has a ugly summer coat that not has me wondering……[emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
            Oh snap, exactly what I feared with all the spring rains.

My deer at the feeder pics are lower than I’d expect for the lease (Kinney county). But this is the first year I’ve run sat cams in the off season out there.
            I’ve got my fingers crossed they are corn shy due to all the other green goodies to eat and my only throwing a small 3 second spin.

Prayers up his will be done.

I still have a few showing up periodically so there’s that.
            One buck has a ugly summer coat that not has me wondering……[emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In 2019, we got hit hard by it. Never found dead animals, but our deer just vanished. Last year we saw ZERO fawns. Now we have a few good bucks and 1 doe on camera looks like she is about to domino, in 250 acres with water. Sure hope we get lucky this time around.

This is the "Anthrax Triangle."

Comment

If they get anthrax, it will take them out fast. They usually drop within 12 hours of getting it. In 2019 most of the anthrax deaths happened between july 26 and august 2.

Comment

Here’s ole summer coat (I hope)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For as long as I can remember, Carta Valley has been the "Capital of Anthrax". Last year it covered much more area that normal. I heard of a few cases near Ft. McKavett and near Christoval.
                  Adios,
                  Gary

Comment

Thats not good. We also got hit hard in 2019 and the numbers were just now starting to come back. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Comment

Any word or update on effected counties. We got leveled in 19' in Ozona. South of town off 163. GROUNDZERO!

Comment

Im on the Edwards-Val Verde line and no signs of Anthrax this year. Deer are looking great!

Comment

There’s no outbreak in Kinney County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm headed out to our place this weekend 277/377 area. Got my fingers crossed.

Comment

What about Val Verde county, Lake Amistad area? Have any of you heard of any reports?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X