Treating trailer deck boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
    Haha, I can't say never again.....but I did so with used diesel motor oil after reading it here-

Then replaced all the boards a year or so later.
    They were rotting out even though I paid extra for treated and even though I layered own the used diesel oil twice. Tt didn't matter, they rotted anyways.

I coated my new treated boards with a stained Thompson water seal I picked up on the mismatched paint isle at home-de-lowes.

My new tact is to store the trailer at an decent angle so the water doesn't sit flat when not in use.
    I just meant I would never use oil again.
    Like TreyRo said, I am sure it has its uses, but if you handle anything you put on the trailer, I personally would never recommend it.
    I would use it on a stock trailer.

Comment

Engine oil. Motors are electric... they use grease. I would apply engine oil. On a hot couple of days. Let it sit. Best decision you'll make for you trailer. I used new oil. As I wanted the light color to it. I did not mix diesel as an accelerant

Comment

Worst decision I made, but ok...lol.

Comment

Used motor oil and diesel at 2:1. Thin enough to soak in and not get slimy, apply liberally and sun bake.

Also install your boards with the end grain arched so water won’t puddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have always used old motor oil as stated above. I will soon have to replace the plywood on my 12 foot trailer that was installed in about 1991. It does have some bad places because Dad decided it need to be coated (it was pretty dried out) and didn't have any motor oil. He had some used peanut oil so he used that. The trailer was in the pasture and his horse decided plywood was pretty tasty with peanut oil dressing. Some burnt motor oil over the peanut oil changed his mind about eating the trailer deck. It can get slick and messy if it has not soaked in good. I wish I could find some bleachers.

Comment

On the farm we used motor oil, recycled used oil, hydraulic fluid, transmission fluid etc. to seal wood. Mix it with mineral spirits from the paint store and mop it on with a kitchen mop. It will collect dirt dust and grime, but the trailers were work trailers. The floors, side boards all were coated with it. They were EPA nightmares. LOL

Comment

Im in the "Never Again" crowd for the exact same thing as Rubi513.

After i change my trailer boards when Lumber comes down, I'm going a very different route.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                  It thins it out and helps it soak in better
                  I see thanks!
                  i guess i'll be buying a gallon of diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    I just got rid of the wood and replaced it with aluminum bleacher planks. I will never have to replace that trailer floor again!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    wish i could find some bleacher planks ...

Comment

We always used boiled linseed oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensammy View Post
                        I did a quick search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Any one use motor oil for treating trailer decking? I did this a couple of years ago. Used roughly 50/50 oil to diesel. It did well and still looked good but the decking is pretty slick when wet. It is time to reapply. What should I do differently?
                        As noted in my original post, I went 50/50 motor oil to diesel. This time I went straight motor oil.

For those who have used the same, do you put on one sloppy thick coat or do you put on 2 or more thinner coats?

Comment

Wood defender is very good

Comment

I treat all of my trailers once every 2 years with used oil. I have 4 trailers, some going on 8 years, and all the wood is in great shape.

Comment

Boiled Linseed Oil and diesel fuel. Mix it about 40 oil and 60 fuel. Put it on with a paint roller.
                              Works great and I have been doing it for years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by WyoBull; 06-25-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                We always used boiled linseed oil.
                                My neighbor does this and swears by it

Comment

Working...
                                X