Push Seeder into rolled/crimped cover crop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push Seeder into rolled/crimped cover crop

I have about an acre that I want to plant next year and I’m wanting to do no till. The crimping and then drilling looks awesome, but buying a drill for an acre seems crazy. I can fashion a hand (foot?) crimper or something to be pulled with the UTV easy enough. But then to drill…

Has anyone ever attempted using one of the manual push seeders in this way? One of the models (Jang JP1) has a separate accessory for a double disc opener which might work, but still seems like tough sledding. Any other ideas?

What are you trying to plant? Unless its something very large like cowpeas or lablab, just broadcast and then crimp / mow over top in front of a good rain.

I have a very good rye / clover field this fall. Sprayed the field in late august to knock back the chest high goatweed and grass. I waited until a rainy sunday / monday forecast. Threw the seed in an electronic broadcaster on the front of my sxs with a drag harrow in the back. Took 45 minutes to plant the whole thing. Did the rye at 150 lbs for about 1.5 acres, with a strip of daikon radish and AWP in the middle

In the spring I will broadcast buckwheat into the rye, then mow it over top

Comment

I&C cowpeas into rye/wheat/oats…although will be mostly rye at that time.

I know it would be really tough to get through the summer crop (same cowpeas) but I’ve had good luck broadcasting the fall stuff into the beans when the leaves go yellow and with a good rain in the forecast.

So, just looking for a non-chemical method to get the spring/summer stuff in the ground.

My thinking is the relatively thin and straight cereal stalks should allow me to slice through if everything is laid down in the same direction. I know it would be tough work, just wondering if it would be a complete waste of time. There has to be a reason no one has tried it yet.

Comment

Well if you try it keep us posted, I'm very curious. I always wondered if a grass slice seeder would work, you can rent those from home depot

ETA: Wonder if a powered plug aerator (the ones you can set depth on) might work too. Would create a bunch of small holes in the dirt, then broadcast (150-200% of rate) and then drag over the top of the thatch to get more of the seeds in the holes.
        Last edited by txbowman12; 11-19-2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X