Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest Mistake Stories...

Post up your hunting guest mistake stories if you have them. Another member of this forum had a guest this weekend on whitetail doe patrol but had green light on an axis or blackbuck. No white tail bucks!!

Dude ended up shooting a whitetail with double drops pushing 170.

My most memorable was being invited to a supplier's lease for a hunt along with about 8 others. The rules were that the buck needed to be mature and typical. This was a corporate lease in Leakey area and the land owner didn't want anything with non-typical traits shot. They also were allowed a few axis bucks and these were drawn for between hunts.

First morning I had a middle aged buck main frame 10 walk out in front of me. It was a nice deer but also had triple brows on one side and double on the other along with some small bumps for double drops on either side. In other words the opposite of the 'clean' animal they were looking for.

Deer went down the hill and about 30 minutes later I heard the shot. Guy who shot it changed his story 5 times during the rest of the day and finally settled on "I knew he was big but his head was in a tree and I couldn't really tell what he was."

I figured not identifying the animal before shooting was probably the worst excuse you come up with and the owner of the ranch agreed. She took the horns from him and charged the vendor we were with 7500.00 and was threatening to kick them off the place. Greatest part of the story is the guy who shot the buck and got them in trouble made sure he hung around even after he pretty much got them kicked off the place to see if he would get drawn to hunt an axis.

That's the hardest part about hunting IMO, getting people to follow the rules/management plan.

Comment

My guests hunt in the blind with me... They do not shoot unless I approve of the shot... Been burned before... never again!

Comment

This thread should have some good stories. I went on a management hunt for cull bucks earlier this year to shoot 4.5 year or older 8 points or less. First afternoon I have a really nice 8 point (16 inch spread) come out that was at least 4.5 years old but played it on the safe side and did not take him. We found him on the trail camera and I was given the green light. Took a couple hunts but I got another shot at him and took him. I just can't see screwing up an invitation like that to shoot something you know you're not supposed to.

Comment

this video cracks me up.

Comment

The craziest story I have is from a guy I work with.

He always hunts on his friend's property, which is MLD, and the owner had just gotten a couple $20k bucks out there the year before. That February, the owner brought a couple of them out there to shoot does. They hear one of the guys shoot a couple times, so he figures he shot 2 does. When they go pick him up, he said he has 2 huge bodied does on the ground. When they went to pick the deer up, both deer he had shot were the ear tagged bucks, but they had shed their antlers already. From what I heard the owner didn't charge him, but he is still getting his money's worth out of the guy in free labor. And probably will be for years to come.

Comment

I heard of a guy going hog hunting at night on a place as a guest and he had his gf or something with him and was trying to show off and shot what he thought was a big hog turned out to be the owners prized bull that he had just bought!!

Comment

Originally posted by apc10 View Post
                The craziest story I have is from a guy I work with.

He always hunts on his friend's property, which is MLD, and the owner had just gotten a couple $20k bucks out there the year before. That February, the owner brought a couple of them out there to shoot does. They hear one of the guys shoot a couple times, so he figures he shot 2 does. When they go pick him up, he said he has 2 huge bodied does on the ground. When they went to pick the deer up, both deer he had shot were the ear tagged bucks, but they had shed their antlers already. From what I heard the owner didn't charge him, but he is still getting his money's worth out of the guy in free labor. And probably will be for years to come.
                Ouch!

Comment

I was hunting 1 of 5 oryx on my buddies place. Been after him 3 different weekends. I could have shot any of em but I was sold on the one.
                  Finally he had em patterned enough to get a good set up going.
                  The oryx started coming through the brush about 30 yards away and I had about a 2' opening to get an arrow through the brush. The heart and lungs were exposed but I couldn't tell which one it was. I didn't want to shoot.
                  Wind shifted they split and the one that I could have shot was the one I was after.
                  I don't really consider it a mistake but think about it often.

Comment

I would down-right refuse to hunt anywhere that I had to be babysat. A $20K buck? What the heck was you hunting? Unicorn? Sorry just have no experience hunting deer anywhere like that, seems to cheapen it a little IMO, but to each his own.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmnFLk7Jlp8"]Sweiny shoots the wrong deer at the Perlitz Ranch - YouTube[/ame]
                      my favorite video. But ya have had a few mistakes I don't get too angry at them I'm more of a well...what's done is done...good kill man type of guy. or hit them with the $1,500 fine for breaking management rules...depends on the person
                      Last edited by GTXHUNTER88; 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

well poop already got beaten to it
                        Originally posted by scissorhands View Post
                        this video cracks me up.

http://youtu.be/CmnFLk7Jlp8

Comment

Originally posted by GatorBait View Post
                          I would down-right refuse to hunt anywhere that I had to be babysat. A $20K buck? What the heck was you hunting? Unicorn? Sorry just have no experience hunting deer anywhere like that, seems to cheapen it a little IMO, but to each his own.
                          Could way to miss out on some awesome opportunities. I have the privilege of hunting on a huge MLD property by Iraan, and the only thing we are allowed to shoot are old farts, culls, and does. Needless to say I have only shot does the last three years out there because I am not going to take the chance of dragging in a buck they were letting go thinking it is a cull. Now if the guy taking me is sitting beside me and says shoot em then by all means it is game on, but it is not worth loosing privileges for a set of horns.

Comment

I brought a few clients on a meat hunt a few years back on a high fence exotic ranch in Junction that my cousin was running. Well we get there and the owner of the place his wife and family are there and are going to be hunting with us, no big deal for me. Well the guys with my were always talking about hunting and how good of a shot they are etc. We get there the first day and go out to shoot their rifles to make sure they are on and one guy can't even hit the board holding the target. So the owner of the property offers up his custom built .308 loaded out with Zeiss scope the whole nine yards. We go out for the evening hunt and I hear a few shots, but when we get back everybody says they didn't shoot. No big deal maybe the shots came from a neighboring property. Well as we are pulling up my guest that has the owners rifle is getting out of the jeep and drops his custom rifle from the back of the jeep onto the concrete. Well that sure is a great way of getting things started. Well the rest of the hunting goes fine they kill a few axis does the next morning and evening. Then on Sunday everyone is packing up and I make a trip over to the guide camp to visit with my cousin a little while before leaving and on my way back I see a big group of buzzards circling and landing a little ways behind a feeder, so I get out my truck and walk over to find a dead axis doe. The shots I heard from the first afternoon were one of my guests, I still to this day haven't figured out why he denied shooting and didn't want to atleast go look for the deer. Needless to say that trip ending up being a little more than we planned an extra doe and a new Zeiss scope for the owners rifle. I was much more embarrassed/frustrated because I knew the owner and my cousin ran the place than I was about the extra cost.

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                              I heard of a guy going hog hunting at night on a place as a guest and he had his gf or something with him and was trying to show off and shot what he thought was a big hog turned out to be the owners prized bull that he had just bought!!
                              I've had this happen before with a guest on our place. Let's just say he paid for the bull, and no one in the area lets him hunt on their place if cattle are present. Needless to say, everyone runs cattle. How you mistake a 2100 lb black angus for a pig will be something I will never understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X