No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope to finally get out this coming weekend. Boat is loaded up.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      I hope to finally get out this coming weekend. Boat is loaded up.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Second split is trophy hunting SZN

Comment

Had some friends in Kansas and they did well until Sunday and said they saw plently of birds headed south.

Fingers crossed for the the second half being a bar burner

Comment

Hunted public marsh yesterday. Was really slow, ended with a few buffleheads one canvas back and a spoonie. We did not see many birds in the sky at all. Hunted near Winnie area. We got back to the ramp and a solo hunter was waiting on the dock for a wrecker truck while his truck was sunk at the ramp . I told my nephew we just thought we had a bad day with no birds. Thats what you call a really bad day. I have been told thats the 2nd one at that ramp in 2 weeks now!!

Comment

Hunted BCS area yesterday and shot our 4 man of mostly gadwall with a few wood ducks mixed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Banger to end the season ready for the split to be over

Comment

Had ducks finally show up on ponds I watch daily. Not big numbers but usually a sign birds have moved in.

Comment

Well, has the first half of the split seen any numbers improve for anyone?
                    A smooth 80 degrees today sure as heck ain’t helping anything.

Comment

I decided to hold off going today, due to weather being "to nice" the last few days, and my youngest grandson's football game today.

But, there is a mild front that is supposed to blow in on Sunday evening in North Texas, leaving some cooler temps for Monday. I might give it a shot Sunday.

My boat and gear are ready. Just need the birds and weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        I decided to hold off going today, due to weather being "to nice" the last few days, and my youngest grandson's football game today.

But, there is a mild front that is supposed to blow in on Sunday evening in North Texas, leaving some cooler temps for Monday. I might give it a shot Sunday.

My boat and gear are ready. Just need the birds and weather.
                        Good Luck Tomorrow!

Comment

Thanks Dave. And the same to you, sir.

Comment

Well 3rd hunt on a private lake. My buddy shot a ring neck, so after three hunts the skunk is off us.

Still scratching my head on how we need to set up.

All three hunts we've had ducks come in and circle the spread and then fly off. We are set up how he's always hunted out here, but for some reason they don't like the spread. Which is a simple spread at that. Couple of big ducks, feeder (wobbles), and five GWT.

Next week were setting up in a different spot on the lake and I'm thinking of replacing the GWT with gray ducks. And bring another feeder.

Still nice to have some place to go, and the fact we see birds I'm encourage to try to figure this out.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                              Well 3rd hunt on a private lake. My buddy shot a ring neck, so after three hunts the skunk is off us.

Still scratching my head on how we need to set up.

All three hunts we've had ducks come in and circle the spread and then fly off. We are set up how he's always hunted out here, but for some reason they don't like the spread. Which is a simple spread at that. Couple of big ducks, feeder (wobbles), and five GWT.

Next week were setting up in a different spot on the lake and I'm thinking of replacing the GWT with gray ducks. And bring another feeder.

Still nice to have some place to go, and the fact we see birds I'm encourage to try to figure this out.

We are seeing basically all adults due to the poor hatch this year. That means on average you are going to really have to work for full straps. Sure there will be the hunts were they come straight in to die but I’m afraid that won’t be the norm this year.

It may be your blind more than your spread. Be sure you are well concealed and you have dimension to your cover. Fresh cane and brush every hunt has really helped us. We also gave up on fixed blinds during the first split and used portable panel blinds almost exclusively.

For spread, don’t be afraid to mix it up. This year is going to be different and if you don’t have them working, get out there and change it up. Think about throwing big spreads, spreads with multiple landing areas, giant spreads with room to land all throughout, or movement/no movement. I’m afraid this year things are going to be a bit funky But that’s part of the chase.

Comment

I've seen alot needing 20 gauge steel shot...Walmart in Sherman has some #4 if anyone in the area still needs some.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X