X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    Getting to be about that time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    In dove talk these pics say “come and get it!”, that’s a nice looking field and crop. Good luck,

Comment

Link to the video??

Comment

We had a good season in spite of the fact that it looks like the Feb freeze killed lots of birds. We didn't hunt a whole lot but had some great limit hunts. Mostly whitewings early in season and now we are covered up with mourning doves. The perdovik sunflowers did great and attracted lots of WW's. Now the native sunflowers and browntop millet have a several hundred mourning doves using it with a few WW's mixed in.

How was everyone's season?

Gonna give it heck during the winter season.

Reminder if you don't have native sunflowers on your place now is the time to buy them and then in Dec/Jan broadcast and disk them. They need to be exposed to the cold to get them to germinate in the spring.

Comment

My son planted 2 acres of native sunflowers today. Reminder this is the time of year to plant and disk to expose them to the cold.

Comment

I planted corn and maize on top of the ground for doves. Was working really good until mr green jeans showed up.

Comment

My son planted 2 acres of native sunflowers today. Reminder this is the time of year to plant and disk to expose them to the cold.
              Are you not just able to disk the native stand you had established? Or are you planting different areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                Are you not just able to disk the native stand you had established? Or are you planting different areas?
                Different area....my son bought 25 acres and wants to get the natives established.

Comment

I’m glad to hear of people using natives! I don’t know why more people don’t.

Comment

Had a few sunflowers popping up last week at two different places we hunt.

Comment

Had a few sunflowers popping up last week at two different places we hunt.
                      If I were wanting to plant say 2 acres in sandy soil for dove plot - what would you recommend and when to plant it?

I have tractor / discs / tiller

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                        If I were wanting to plant say 2 acres in sandy soil for dove plot - what would you recommend and when to plant it?

I have tractor / discs / tiller
                        Its probably too late to plant native sunflowers for this season to get any kind of good germination for this season (I read that spring planted natives only get 2-5% germination).

So I would do peredovik sunflowers. I plant around the first week in May and they will be ready ~2 weeks before the dove opener. They get big heads and doves will land on the stalk and eat the seeds.

Plant the natives in the fall/winter so they will be ready for the following season.

Comment

Its probably too late to plant native sunflowers for this season to get any kind of good germination for this season (I read that spring planted natives only get 2-5% germination).

So I would do peredovik sunflowers. I plant around the first week in May and they will be ready ~2 weeks before the dove opener. They get big heads and doves will land on the stalk and eat the seeds.

Plant the natives in the fall/winter so they will be ready for the following season.
                          What’s the optimal lbs per acre of peredovik sunflowers? I assume I can till it, seed it then just drag it?

Comment

What’s the optimal lbs per acre of peredovik sunflowers? I assume I can till it, seed it then just drag it?
                            For broadcasting 12-15lbs acre. I planted a couple acres in Waco a few years ago that way and it was outstanding.

Keep the ground underneath clear...I use clethodim to kill any grass once the sunflowers are up good....then I'll use it one more time about a month before they are ready. The canopy of the sunflowers does a fair job at keeping weeds from taking over too.

Comment

For broadcasting 12-15lbs acre. I planted a couple acres in Waco a few years ago that way and it was outstanding.

Keep the ground underneath clear...I use clethodim to kill any grass once the sunflowers are up good....then I'll use it one more time about a month before they are ready. The canopy of the sunflowers does a fair job at keeping weeds from taking over too.
                              Thanks. Found a bag online for 50# for $40 guess I’ll buy one bag and give it a go

Comment

Thanks. Found a bag online for 50# for $40 guess I’ll buy one bag and give it a go
                                If you haven't bought it already....that may be last year's seed. This year's seed probably won't be ready until late March/April. Producer's Coop in Bryan will have peredoviks in April.

Comment

Working...
                                X