No announcement yet.

Eating Deer Liver & Heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TP3 showed me a great way to cook heart, after discarding it all my life. As for liver, I share it with the critters.

Comment

20 minutes ago, from my son's Elk on Thursday.
      Attached Files

Comment

I was forced to eat beef liver once as a kid.
        Kinda a formal family gathering. I begged not to but dad insisted.

After I vomited on the table they never made me eat it again.

I'm perty sure I'd vomit deer liver as well.

Comment

I'd have to be pretty hungry to eat either. You do you though haha

Comment

I like deer heart but not the liver, only because it is always a lot tougher than beef liver...but my dog loves it.

If you're concerned about CWD, you probably should skip the heart since it has high concentrations of the prions in infected animals.

Comment

I can’t get over the concept of what a liver’s purpose is. Heart is great though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                If you're concerned about CWD, you probably should skip the heart since it has high concentrations of the prions in infected animals.
                Is that true? I hunt in a mandatory CWD zone and we love grilling up fresh heart in camp. The rest of the meat I package up and wait til we get negative test result before digging in. If this is confirmed I may have to change the practice, which would be a bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Is that true? I hunt in a mandatory CWD zone and we love grilling up fresh heart in camp. The rest of the meat I package up and wait til we get negative test result before digging in. If this is confirmed I may have to change the practice, which would be a bummer.
                  This is an old article on it but I can't find anything recent.

Chronic wasting disease for the first time has been found in the heart muscle of white-tailed deer and elk, according to researchers in the University of Wyoming's College of Agriculture. The finding is important to wildlife managers, hunters and scientists because the cardiac muscle -- which compri

Comment

I would never eat the filter out of an animal.

Comment

Working...
                    X