Processor wouldn’t give my son his deer head until meat is processed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processor wouldn’t give my son his deer head until meat is processed

I have always just had the processor cut the deer head or antlers off and bring them home with me. My son shot a buck last weekend and wanted to bring the head back and have a skull mount done. The processor would not give him the deer head and said the game warden told them they have to keep the head with the deer until it was quartered. I called the game warden to make sure this was correct and he said the processor was correct.

Bull hockey

Comment

That's BS.

Comment

That’s what i thought until he sent me a screen shot of the rule in the hunting book.

Comment

Next time cape it out, quarter it up and then take the meat up there. Cheaper that way anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He talked like you could get a ticket if you have the deer head without having the meat quartered or processed.

Comment

Take your deer and leave.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
                That’s what i thought until he sent me a screen shot of the rule in the hunting book.
                Post that screenshot. Tag is the only thing required to stay with the meat.

Comment

Tag stays with meat. Processor should have a wildlife resource document (WRD) he can supply you with he's being that by the book.

I've never left a head with Cinnamon Creek.
                  Last edited by Chad C; 12-02-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

He talked like you could get a ticket if you have the deer head without having the meat quartered or processed.
                    If he's processing wild game and doesn't know the law, especially something as basic as that, he's going to end up getting himself in trouble.

Comment

Proof of Sex
                      Valid Sep. 1, 2019 through Aug. 31, 2020.
                      Deer or Pronghorn Antelope
                      Notice: It is unlawful to possess a deer or pronghorn antelope with proof of sex removed unless the deer or antelope is at a final destination and has been quartered. Proof of sex includes one of the following:

the head (skinned or unskinned) of a buck deer with antlers attached;
                      the head (skinned or unskinned) of an antlerless deer;
                      the unskinned head of a pronghorn; or
                      a completed Managed Lands Deer Program (MLDP) Tag, Antlerless Mule Deer Permit, CWD Check Station Receipt, or TPWD Drawn Hunt Legal Deer Tag.
                      It is unlawful to remove the head or antlers (proof of sex) of deer or pronghorn at a commercial processor until the carcass has been quartered and entered into the cold storage logbook.

Comment

You have to have proof of sex to accompany the meat/deer to its final destination i/e the processor. The processor then takes the tag and can/will/supposed to give you a wildlife resource document to accompany you to the taxi or your home. Same is also true if you take the head and cape to the taxi first you should get the wildlife resource document for proof of sex when you drop off the meat with the processor.

Comment

Bottom paragraph

Click image for larger version

Name:	D67E540B-7A0B-425C-B744-80ECC5EF94B4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	24600584

Comment

Nothing new.
                            Wildlife resource document will allow the head/cape to be possessed separate from the tag legally.

Comment

Figured I would post here and maybe save someone a ticket.

Comment

Working...
                              X