Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Panhandle Hunting Thread (7th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A buddy and I were after a management buck this weekend. Hunted Friday evening through this morning and never had ONE buck in bow range. On our ranch they're in the transition period into rubbing, scrapes, etc before rut. They could give a chit less about corn and protein. Had 8 management bucks on camera consistently until about Thursday. We'll try and skim one in December

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
      A buddy and I were after a management buck this weekend. Hunted Friday evening through this morning and never had ONE buck in bow range. On our ranch they're in the transition period into rubbing, scrapes, etc before rut. They could give a chit less about corn and protein. Had 8 management bucks on camera consistently until about Thursday. We'll try and skim one in December
      What county you in? I haven’t found any scrapes yet Briscoe county.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
        Is that the first elk you've seen on your place?
        No, I’ve gotten a couple on camera the last couple years, mostly at night.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
          If your season is opening this morning, best of luck to all. Be safe!

Just to follow up, I was very uncharacteristically late getting to the stand last Thursday morning due to my oversleeping and got to the stand about daybreak. Sat for about an hour and a horse of a muley doe sneaks in and beds down at 20 yards. I watched her lay there for an hour or so and chew her cud, during which I decided I would take her if she gave me a shot when she stood up. Well she did, and I did, and she's now in the freezer.

Congrats Kry!

Originally posted by myway View Post
          I had this guy at 15 yards last night. They are definitely starting to move better. Well except so far this AM.
          Beautiful buck.

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
          It looked like this
          You are having a great season!
          Good luck everybody

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
            What county you in? I haven’t found any scrapes yet Briscoe county.
            Motley.

Comment

Slow, slow, slow is all I can say about the Friday before opening weekend thru yesterday morning. Perfect weather. Only positive is we have a lot of does showing up along with numerous buck fawns. Very few does and no fawns last year.

Comment

I got up with the full intention of hunting deer Saturday morning. But, as commonly happens for me, on the way out I changed my mind and decided to call coyotes instead. So I headed up north of the river and did that. Called a pair on the first stand and got both. Called another pair on the second stand, killed one and the second got away in the weeds. Third stand called a single and killed it with a 50 yard running shot. Felt pretty good to be putting fur on the ground.

I didn't hear many shots, didn't see many hunters. Got to see my landowner and had a good talk with him too. Got some really good info on some additional spots to take my daughter to shoot a deer. All in all, a very productive morning.

We need some wet weather though to help start laying down some of these weeds. Pastures are thick this year. Hard to see and makes it tough picking spots to call coyotes from. I would say a fella needs to watch any shot deer pretty close too. It is going to be easy to walk right past them. Mr Bonner may get quite a bit of work this year.

Comment

Hunted Friday night through Sunday morning outside of McLean and it was slow all weekend accept last half hour of Saturday night, then we had a buck parade go by us. Passed a really nice mature 8 point. Seeing runs and scrapes being made but even the young bucks weren’t harassing does yet. Overall slow Movement, but that will all change in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                    I

We need some wet weather though to help start laying down some of these weeds. Pastures are thick this year. Hard to see and makes it tough picking spots to call coyotes from. I would say a fella needs to watch any shot deer pretty close too. It is going to be easy to walk right past them. Mr Bonner may get quite a bit of work this year.
                    Weeds amd grass are so tall I don't know how you found a spot to call from unless you were calling giraffes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      Slow, slow, slow is all I can say about the Friday before opening weekend thru yesterday morning. Perfect weather. Only positive is we have a lot of does showing up along with numerous buck fawns. Very few does and no fawns last year.
                      All your post are exactly what we are seeing. I have not seen a single pig at our place this season and I have only missed one weekend since bow season started. Doe and fawn numbers are up for us as well. We have started seeing a few more bucks on camera but very few are mature. Im blown away about the pigs though??? We were covered up with them last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                        Weeds amd grass are so tall I don't know how you found a spot to call from unless you were calling giraffes.
                        I have a lot of country to cover, so I can pick and choose. But it is tough no doubt. Having to do a lot of pre-scouting and not just assume that my good spots are still call-able. Right now stand locations are limited for sure. The last month or so I have walked into multiple places I thought I could call, only to have to walk back out without calling because it wouldn't work. Toughest I have seen it in a long time from a visibility standpoint. Broomweed and another weed I think is curly cup gumweed if I remember my old plant ID classes correctly are the main ones I am fighting.

Nobody wants to hear it, but a good heavy snow or ice storm would help a lot. I've got some places IDK if I will be able to call at all this year. I'm not carrying the bolt action 243 very much, instead using the suppressed 14.5" AR because it is so much faster in cover. I took a 2 day carbine class at Badlands Tactical last spring and have been practicing a whole lot with that AR, it has really helped my rapid target transitions. Looks like that is a skill I may be needing with my calling this year. It sure helped on the stands this weekend.

Comment

I saw several big boys moving as I drove home today. Made it to my stand 15 minutes ago. A lot can happen in 45 minutes.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
                            I saw several big boys moving as I drove home today. Made it to my stand 15 minutes ago. A lot can happen in 45 minutes.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
                            And so....?

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                              And so....?
                              Nothing happened in 45 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I plan on going again today. Last season I had at least 8 different bucks come in on a regular basis. All I have seen this year is 2 yearling bucks and a group of does. Hope things pick up soon. Deer activity seems to be picking up these last few days.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X