Eating Mullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating Mullet

I was with the family last week down in Galveston and we saw a ton of mullet in the surf so the boys and I got out the castnet and we netted and released about 80. We got 17 in two throws at one point.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to eat them. I have always heard that they are not any good to eat, but maybe the ones on the other side of the Mississipi River taste pretty good.

Anyone ever tried them?

A buddy thought it would be funny to fry a few and feed it to me. I really couldn't tell much about it other than it was Cajun seasoned and fried fish. Thinking back on it, it was no worse that the imported imitation catfish a lot of places are starting to serve.

Comment

I have seen a bunch of foreign people eating them right on the beach when I was little. They eat mullet on the East coast. I believe it is a different type of mullet though. Good luck lol

Comment

I like them. I grew up in Florida where we had them on a regular basis. After moving to Texas, I caught some off the jetty at Port A. They tasted the same (good) as the Florida fish.

Comment

Those folks over in Florida swear that smoked mullet is good....

I'll have to take their word for it !

Comment

I got sick just reading the title of the thread. YUKKKKKK!!!!!!

Comment

They eat the heck out of them in Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by BigDraw View Post
                They eat the heck out of them in Louisiana
                There ain't much dem Cajuns won't eat.b

Comment

Originally posted by deer99hunter View Post
                  Those folks over in Florida swear that smoked mullet is good....

I'll have to take their word for it !

I'm not from Florida but smoked mullet IS awesome!!! Worked there for 6 months and would get em smoked in Palm leaves all the time.

Comment

eat it once when I was way way younger. cant remember nothing bad about them and people from florida eat them regularly. that being said I wont eat it again. not unless im on survivor mode.

Comment

They are probably pretty good...it's more of a mental thing for most of us Texans than anything. I haven't gotten over that mental problem yet.

Comment

Went to a family reunion out east and those Alabamans and Mississippians eat fried and grilled mullet like its going out of style. My Texas cousins, my brothers, my Dad, uncle and I, kinda chuckled when we heard the menu for that night but it was alright. It was weird after being raised that they were trash fish bait all my life. I remember it being a decent white meat texture. It wasn't good enough for me to go search them out but I'd eat it again..
                        Last edited by Smart; 06-01-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Not the same mullet in FL. that they eat. Ours are to oily.

Comment

filleted and fried like any other fish tastes great

the mullet I cooked were grass eaters ... herbivores , from around Ocean Springs, MS

Comment

I'd try it but I'd be scared I like it cuz all my long fishing days would be done. I'd probably fish the flats for 2hrs and then say "the heck with this" and bust out the cast net

Comment

Working...
                              X