Gmu 86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gmu 86

I'm planning my first archery elk hunt in GMU 86 somewhere between Salida & Westcliffe. Has anyone ever hunted this area and could you possible provide me with some pro's & con's?

I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole, just a little more insight into the area. I will be flying out for a couple of days in May to do some scouting of my own. Just want to make my trip as efficient as possible.

Thanks.

Hey
    When are you going on your hunt GMU 86?
    I archery hunted that area a number times and gotten 2 5x5 bulls. I would suggest going after labor day they will be bulging. Hunt saddles and just below timber line. That will be moving 1/2 way up....mist important is get in shape fo you leg work, as it will tax yourself

Norm Wade
    Ret. USMC

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have hunted 82 on the other side of the ridge. There was a large fire on the north side of the Units last year that went on through hunting season. That will likely draw a lot of curiosity from hunters this season. Plan for higher pressure on the north side.

The north side is generally less steep than the other parts of the unit, but it's a physically challenging area no matter where you're at. You will be hunting at elevations between 9 and 12000 ft depending on where they're at. Lots of Amish camps on the west side of the ridge, so I'm assuming that's true for your side too. They keep the elk pressured all season long and travel deep into the drainages with horses. Don't overlook areas closer to the trailheads.

Comment

Working...
      X