X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's whip ars...

Comment

Originally posted by drogers6771 View Post
      Yeah kinda seems to be the issue. I'd trade cell phones, the green screen, political correctness, and everything in between for times to be like they once were
      Cool thing is, you can have all that for yourself, just do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        I think you have some very valid points, especially on the trust issues and our culture of always wanting more and keeping up with the Joneses (which actually started WAY before any of us were born).

It's also very easy to look at the past with rose colored glasses, for example I grew up in the 1988 "Murder Capital of America" (currently the 4th poorest city in the nation, ranked the worst small town to live in in the nation last year) during the biggest violent crime spike the country has seen since the low point in the 1960s.

I remember that time as being "the good ol days" when when life was just plain peachy, everyone got along better and everything was better, except for The Devil being EVERYWHERE and trying to kidnap and everyone's babies of course..... It feels that way and that's how I remember it but I know it just ain't true.

We do have some pretty big cultural problems today but objectively, we are way better off now than at any other time and despite the problems it's easier than it has ever been to ignore them, go your own way and do your own thing.

And as far as hunting goes, we are absolutely living in the good ol days right now! Private land permissions issues aside, It's never been more accessible to go out and have the hunt of your dreams, just don't drive around town with a deer on your car.. it's really bad for the meat.
        You can post all you want about how you think today is better but your never going to change the minds of us who lived back then and think it was better back then.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          I ain't gonna argue with you about it, but I can say for me personally, you definition of "better" is sure different than mine and my recollection of my past in the 60's and 70's... Good and bad, I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
          me too !!!

Comment

Check this out:

And a veteran of our armed forces. Salute!

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
              You can post all you want about how you think today is better but your never going to change the minds of us who lived back then and think it was better back then.
              Of course not, nostalgia and perception are very powerful things, doesnt matter whether they are accurate or not.

Comment

I'm genuinely curious what of that time period people would want back?

There seemed to be a bit more mental toughness among people "back in the day", which is good or at the least we were better at hiding the problems we had or pretending like they don't exist but other than that by every objective measure (economically, violent crime and a bajillion other social issues) of society we are way better off now than we were back then.

I do understand the nostalgia of only remembering the cool aspects of when you were a kid, I obviously don't remember all the crappy aspects of the 80s so it would be easy to think of them as the "good days" but the world is, aside from a few aspects, a much better place for more people than it was at any other time.

I guess I was never big on nostalgia because I've already recognized it for the illusion that it is...

I guess my answer would be the 70s because that’s what I can relate to.

Economically I don’t know if anyone is “better off” today than back then. It’s a gradual progression. As income increases, so does cost of living and goods; or maybe vice-versa.

I just remember everyone getting along. I don’t remember politics ruling the day or consuming everyone. Everyone seemed to just get along better. Neighbors actually talked and watched out for each other. Kids freely played pretty much wherever they wanted to without worry for the most part.

Of course as you stated we tend to remember the good more than the bad but I can say I long for the days I mentioned above. I feel like my kids missed out on so much that I feel made my childhood awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Who says school buses don’t make good blinds!

Comment

Of course not, nostalgia and perception are very powerful things, doesnt matter whether they are accurate or not.
                    I grew up in the 50's and 60's. We did not lock car doors or our house. When I was younger (age 8 to 12) I could ride my bike across town to my Grandmas house which was a couple of miles. My parents nor I ever once worried about me getting hurt or kidnapped. We knew every neighbor on our block. Could carry a rifle in the back window of your truck with no problem or concern. Everybody was clear on what their sex was in order to go into the correct bathroom and did not have to worry about someone from the opposite sex using their bathroom.

I could go on and on - what I DO KNOW is this is not my "perception" - it was a reality.

Sure life now days is easier - order your food online and have someone bring it to your door. Push a button and your truck tail gate opens on its own. But IMO that does not make our lives necessarily better

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
                      had a guy get busted when i was a Sr in HS (2012) drug dogs alerted to his car and they found his 12ga in the back because he was heading to duck hunt for the weekend. they took his gun and threatened to arrest him. he was handcuffed in the resource officers office for a few hours. gun ws never returned to him.
                      Was that pre-castle doctrine? The local police advised me that since the vehicle is an extension of your home it is perfectly legal to have a pistol in your vehicle (in a gun-free zone) as long as it’s out of sight. Or maybe the fact that it was viewable without entering was the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                        Was that pre-castle doctrine? The local police advised me that since the vehicle is an extension of your home it is perfectly legal to have a pistol in your vehicle (in a gun-free zone) as long as it’s out of sight. Or maybe the fact that it was viewable without entering was the issue?

It was in his trunk not visible but until this year you weren't allowed to have any firearms in your car or person on public school property that got fixed 09/01/19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My only complaint with that is the heat from the engine would be hell on the meat quality. Aside from that, our modern world could handle a LOT more of this.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
                            It was in his trunk not visible but until this year you weren't allowed to have any firearms in your car or person on public school property that got fixed 09/01/19

That was only for employees. If you have LTC you can walk all the way up to the door; just don’t enter the premises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by drogers6771 View Post
                              I hate that I missed these times.....heck, things were much better 10-20 yrs ago even....seemed like 2008 was a real turning point
                              2008....seemed like 1990 to me.

Comment

Back in 71 our bus driver named Buck hit a doe with the bus. Stopped and I threw her in the back of the bus. Needless to say I was called into the office the next day and told don't do that again and that was it.

Comment

Working...
                                X