Buying a new car Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be in the market for a new car for my wife this summer. It's been a while since I bought one, so I guess my question is, when is the best time to buy a new car? Is there always good deals out there, you just have to hunt for them? My second question would be, Does anyone recommend a good GMC dealership? We will be in the market for a Yukon XL and pricing around SA seems to be quite a bit higher than other places. Thanks for your help.

IMO there is no good time. They tell you every month is the best LOL

You just need to know exactly what you want and what you want to pay and stick to it. It may take a little time though.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      IMO there is no good time. They tell you every month is the best LOL

You just need to know exactly what you want and what you want to pay and stick to it. It may take a little time though.
      ^^^^

Shop and deal. Walk out and go home. Your phone will ring.

Comment

There is never a good time, but the last day of the month I heard is best. I just bought two new vehicles this year so I know your pain LOL!

Comment

The only advice I can give is to start looking now at the ads either in the newspaper or online. That will give you an idea of what the cheapest they get. I had the luxury of looking for two years before my wife's old car finally died. Since I had been casually looking for so long I knew how much they would eventually go on sale for.

Comment

Vehicle prices in Texas are very high. We have bought several vehicles out of state. and saved thousands. Get on the internet and see for your self.
            Last one was a Honda CRV in Mobile Alabama for 2,500 less that any dealer in Texas would do. Cheap SW airline ticket for me and wife to New Orleans, Rent car over to Mobile. New car and rent car back to New Orleans, check in rent car, night in French Quarter and back to Texas and saved close to $2000 even after the travel.
            The out of state dealers on the internet know how to handle it and even charge Texas Tax and registration and your new Texas plates and Texas title come in the mail in a few weeks, Easy Peazy.
            Last edited by texasair; 12-10-2018, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkag09 View Post
              Will be in the market for a new car for my wife this summer. It's been a while since I bought one, so I guess my question is, when is the best time to buy a new car? Is there always good deals out there, you just have to hunt for them? My second question would be, Does anyone recommend a good GMC dealership? We will be in the market for a Yukon XL and pricing around SA seems to be quite a bit higher than other places. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the 70k vehicle market.

Once you do it once it’s not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Black Ice; 12-11-2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

I’ve always been told the absolute best time is the week between Christmas and New Years.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                  I’ve always been told the absolute best time is the week between Christmas and New Years.
                  X2

Comment

There was a thread on reddit where a guy had a specific tactic for buying cars. I wish I could find it again but in reality there really isn't a good time. Just always be willing to walk away.

Another thing that bothers me is the salesman all want to know what you want your monthly payment to be. I never really answered that directly because I didn't want them to go find a vehicle that without budging much on the price that fits that.

Comment

Right now, there are tons of incentives. End of month is always a good time. I would also suggest not buying now though, and track the price of the car you want, and get an idea of what a "good price" is. For example, I wanted a very specific car, with a very specific trim package. I started tracking pricing in early 2017, and got a good feel for what it should cost me. Well about 14 months later in May 2018, I finally pulled the trigger when the dealer gave me the price I wanted.

Point being, go in knowing exactly what the price should be, and be willing to walk away. I waited 14 months, and I have a problem with impulse buying lol...If I can wait to buy, anyone can do it. I saved myself about 25% the value of the car doing it that way. It also may have to do with the fact Ford isn't making cars for the US anymore.

Comment

I made my rounds yesterday to two GM dealers. Sales are way down and they are only offering rebates at this time. The Dodge dealership is overstocked with trucks as well. March might be a better time, dealers may want to move a few cars to save on inventory tax. I dont think it matters, they are all too high. I seen a 69,000.00 Suburban yesterday.
                        Last edited by Radar; 12-11-2018, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Best thing to do is figure out exactly what you want and then start e-mailing dealerships and see who can give you the best deal. The dealers say they have all these incentives but the fact is they are usually just ploy's to get you in the showroom where they can use their sales tactics on you. They aren't in the business to loose money and always have a bottom line. By doing your negotiating on line you have the advantage of talking to several different dealers at once. But do your homework first.

Comment

Comment

The buyers invoice game is a common tactic now. Just make sure you’re comparing apples to apples in trim and whatnot.

Get an invoice on a vehicle at a negotiated price then send it to a different dealership. Keep going around until you get the lowest possible price, ON PAPER. No handshake agreements. Make sure they give you the invoice. I made a trip for a truck once and got screwed when they had “dealer add-ones” they wouldn’t take off.

Comment

Working...
                              X