East Texas Deer Feeder Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Deer Feeder Help

I want to take my 6 year old hunting on family property this year in deep East Texas (Angelina County). I've got a set up with large hog proof fence around it.

Grew up in East Texas, but I've never really hunted over feeders so I dont have much experience with them.

I've seen south Texas and Hill Country deer come to feeders like dinner bells, but I've heard from many that east Texas deer are skittish around feeders and will only come at night.

I'm not really wanting to feed year round, but could start feeding this month.

Would a gravity fed feeder like the one below cause deer to be less spooked than a timer feeder? This seems really simple and I wouldn't have to mess with timers, batteries, etc.
    Or should I just stick with a timed feeder?

Put a 50 lb sack of corn and a 50 lb sack of rice bran meal inside the pen once a week and you'll be good to go... if you live outta town, hang a 55 gallon feeder up in the air 15-20' and a timed feeder or Ghost feeder will work.

Comment

I'm a couple hours away so could only be there once every couple of weeks.

Comment

It's not the noise of the feeder its seeing the feeder. I use the 5 gallon feeders pulled up about 15 ft in a tree or just pour corn in a pile ..

Comment

Some will say this isn’t necessary or even true, but my son and I have had good luck using apple scented corn. Three things I know about deer: 1) they’re curious, 2) they have an excellent sense of smell, 3) they have a taste for sweets. On a previous shared lease we did better with deer at our feeders throwing apple scented corn than our lease mates who only threw unscented corn.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Would deer be less afraid of PVC pipe feeders strapped to a tree or one of the pre-made tree feeders like the one below? These dont make noise and might blend into the tree.

Comment

^^^ I've used these with little success. (hogs can still reach it and pretty much take over once found). Might work better inside a feed pen. Coons are still gonna rake it out on the ground though.

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
                I want to take my 6 year old hunting on family property this year in deep East Texas (Angelina County). I've got a set up with large hog proof fence around it.

Grew up in East Texas, but I've never really hunted over feeders so I dont have much experience with them.

I've seen south Texas and Hill Country deer come to feeders like dinner bells, but I've heard from many that east Texas deer are skittish around feeders and will only come at night.

I'm not really wanting to feed year round, but could start feeding this month.

Would a gravity fed feeder like the one below cause deer to be less spooked than a timer feeder? This seems really simple and I wouldn't have to mess with timers, batteries, etc.
                Or should I just stick with a timed feeder?
                This feeder would get destroyed by hogs, coons, and squirrels.

Comment

You got the hog fence around it. It just takes more time for the deer to find a feeder in east texas. I would put it up and let it rip. It may work it may not just have another plan in case you don't get any activity around the feeder.

You got any row's on the place?

Comment

When I first started hunting East Tx I couldn’t get a deer near a feeder. Now it’s no problem. My doe started using them and every year the fawns would hit them. Now 6-7 yrs later I have deer hitting them non stop. They learn to eat from them as fawns and get accustomed to them as they age. Now I still have a hard time getting some mature bucks to hit them and find it best to just pour corn in a pile. Here are a few pics. Just have to set them up.

One thing I have learned in 2 yrs owning my place is the deer have a pattern/route they use to access the property. If I set a feeder up near that route they will hit it. If I try to set up a station where I want deer to go I have no luck whatsoever and the feeder will sit without ever getting touched. I set up 3 new stations this season and within 24-48 hrs I had deer at them.

Good luck this season!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
                      Would deer be less afraid of PVC pipe feeders strapped to a tree or one of the pre-made tree feeders like the one below? These dont make noise and might blend into the tree.

3 of the best feeders I have! I’ll post a pic of how I set them up. Deer hit them daily

Comment

Our last two leases were in Angelina county. Our deer were not spooked by feeders at all and within a week or two of setting up we were getting hundreds of pictures, all hours of the day. Where our deer excelled was knowing when to stop this behavior. We were on this particular lease for 4 or 5 years and every year the week before bow season started the deer would start only coming to the feeders at night.

I can't say I ever once sat in a stand with a feeder nearby and watched a deer eat on that lease.

Comment

Redneck Gravity Feeders

Buck pic is in the same pen a couple seasons ago.
                          Attached Files

Comment

In your situation how would just dump corn on the ground

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X