AR Question/Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
    This is what makes me keep leaning towards a 6.5. Cheap ammo for having fun or stacking deep. Good selection of quality ammo for hunting or target shooting.

Comment

6.8 gets my vote, but does have a little more thump than the .223. But, puts the hurtin on most things with 4 legs.

Comment

How much more thump

300 BO is great if you are going to suppress it otherwise no
        7.62x39 is a great all around answer Change followers in a few mags and run it cheap and basically a 30-30
        6.5 & 6.8 are great but depending on local can be hard to walk in an buy just anywhere.
        450 is the smae as far as ammo availability but it is fun as hell to shoot

Comment

Oh trust me I know! .

If i'm going to build an AR in a different caliber i'm going to want something that can do something a 5.56 can't. Something that has a further effective range.

I love 7.62X39 and it's unbeatable for ammo cost, but it belongs in AK's.
          Last edited by Clay C; 04-01-2019, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Oh trust me I know! .

If i'm going to build an AR in a different caliber i'm going to want something that can do something a 5.56 can't. Something that has a further effective range.

I love 7.62X39 and it's unbeatable for ammo cost, but it belongs in AK's.
            Oh. Yeah, for me ARs and "long range" are like those off-road looking Mercedes, but people love 'em and that's all right by me.

Comment

6.8 here, but no qualms with a Grendel .. they are like ford vs Chevy

Comment

Originally posted by Wellborn Papa View Post
                X2 for the 6.8 SPC
                this

Comment

I hunt with a 6.8spc and am a big fan of it. It's got good knock down power and the recoil isn't bad. As stated above though, the ammo isn't as plentiful as other calibers and it hasn't seem to catch on as much as I thought it would, therefore it's not the best choice if you are wanting to target shoot a lot with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                    Oh. Yeah, for me ARs and "long range" are like those off-road looking Mercedes, but people love 'em and that's all right by me.
                    Not necessarily long range. Just something I can easily make hits with and feel more confident shooting animals with at further distances than I would with 5.56 or 7.62x39.

Comment

Not necessarily long range. Just something I can easily make hits with and feel more confident shooting animals with at further distances than I would with 5.56 or 7.62x39.
                      6.5 or 6.8 will deliver much more than a 223 will,,, and a lot better than the 7.62 x39 as range increases,, better accuracy also

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                        6.5 or 6.8 will deliver much more than a 223 will,,, and a lot better than the 7.62 x39 as range increases,, better accuracy also
                        Agreed.

Comment

You should seriously consider the 224 Valkyrie! It is my go-to AR. I do like my 6.8 but the 224 V has no kick, crazy speed retention and nothing I have shot has walked away yet from Whitetails, Axis Buck and a bunch of hogs! I killed a hog last night with one. I have a 20" and an 18". Both are Palmetto State Armory and the 18" is a lightweight and very accurate shooting 90gr Federal Fusions. I buy them on-line at ammo seek.
                          I have a high-end Wilson Combat 6.8 but it is collecting dust due to the lightweight fun shooting 224v.

Comment

The 6.8 SPC was designed for short barrels. Rebarrel with an ARP barrel and bolt carrier group, get some good mags and you're good to go. It will kill large hogs DRT with a high shoulder shot easily. This one was 270 lb.
                            Attached Files

Comment

6.5 Grendel vote here.

Comment

Originally posted by Wellborn Papa View Post
                                X2 for the 6.8 SPC
                                Originally posted by LMiz View Post
                                x3
                                X4

Comment

Working...
                                X