No announcement yet.

Deer meat. Soak and drain or Keep it dry and cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a cooler is available hang dry if not ice and let drain. Done them both and am not dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always ice mine down and let it drain, to me it gets most of the blood out. I have been doing it your years and always have good meat. But if you hang it keep it around 39 degrees.

Comment

1. pack with ice in large ice chest
        2. liberally salt the top
        3. drain water and add ice daily for up to a week

Comment

I've let the meat sit in an ice chest for 3-5 days. Drain and add ice as needed. The more blood I drain, the lesser game taste it will have.

Comment

On ice with the plug out to let the water drain. 5to 7 days

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by blatallic View Post
              I've let the meat sit in an ice chest for 3-5 days. Drain and add ice as needed. The more blood I drain, the lesser game taste it will have.
              this is what I do more or less, but I also add vinegar and salt. turns out great!!

Comment

On ice and drain open... Unless walk in available, then that is best thing going.

Or if your air temp is CONSISTENTLY less than 40... Then you can hang in the air, though cheese cloth would be preferable to cover. But this is Texas and that almost never happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  Following, very interested in dry aging venison and what contraptions people have made who don’t have access to a walk in cooler.

I have read it needs to be below 40 degrees F and needs good airflow around the whole meat part/quarter. I have also seen where people have added UVC units in their dedicated aging refrigerators.

Listened to a radio interview of an author who wrote a book ‘Buck, Buck, Moose’ or something like that. Just haven’t taken the time to research further, but the interview was intriguing.
                  That guy just released his second book ... Pheasant quail cottontail. He was on hunting dog podcast

Interesting guy

Comment

Cooler with 2 frozen gallons of water. Did this for a week last year and turned out great. Swapped the gallons out as needed, it was cold out so it didn't take much.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      No matter what anyone says, red meat should never be wet. A brine for fowl is OK, but beef and venison should always be dry aged. I've even had a lot of success in dry aging ducks. You'll get plenty of guys on here who disagree, but that's OK....the world needs wrong people too.
                      Agree totally. Never understood why people have to soak there meat in ice and water. It takes all the flavor out. Next time you go buy a ribeye steak soak it like you do your deer meat and see what it taste like. Bet you don't like it. I process my own meat but I can't bet pretty much no prossesor soaks your meat either. They keep it cold till time to take care of it.

Comment

No matter what anyone says, red meat should never be wet. A brine for fowl is OK, but beef and venison should always be dry aged. I've even had a lot of success in dry aging ducks. You'll get plenty of guys on here who disagree, but that's OK....the world needs wrong people too.
                        Exactly!

Comment

Bingo. I have a wire rack that fits all my coolers that sits at the bottom. All my quartered meat goes in and gets iced down. Drain plug is cracked and I add ice as needed for about 5 -7 days, I've even had it up to 10 days. Never a complaint on anything tasting "gamey". I do it this way since I no longer have access to a walk in

Comment

I have keep my deer in ice chest filled with ice and plug open for 3 days for the past 30yrs, gets almost all the blood out of meat and always taste great.

God Bless
                            Bish

Comment

Lay it on the ice. Not in ice water. Thats nasty gray waterlogged **** meat. Yuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d never trust anyone that says let them soak

Comment

Working...
                                X