Dehumidifiers...are they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dehumidifiers...are they worth it?

I'm looking at purchasing a dehumidifier (portable, room unit).
    My thoughts are to try to reduce the humidity in our living room and hopefully prevent our central ac from running as often. I understand they do not put out any cold air but do remove the humidity, thus making the room feel more comfortable.
    After researching and reading, these units do reduce the humidity but also put out quite a bit of hot air while they are running. I'm thinking this is just counter acting my original purpose.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of units?
    Any relevant input would be appreciated.
    Thanks

They put out a ton of hot air, and use a lot of electricity, but it's all relative to how much you use it.

Comment

Use ours only in our stored RV to remove humidity to keep the pressed wood from expanding. They work great for that but do put out the hot air.

Comment

We use two small ones in our 5th wheel down in Rockport while we are gone. Its pretty amazing how much moisture they pull out of the air.

Comment

I have a small unit large enough for a single room. rated for 300sf or so. The heat from these smaller units is low enough to hardly tell with back of your hand over the top. Not much of an issue as far as overall temp as long as you keep it from directly under your thermostat (blows upward). Took me a couple days to figure why my AC wouldnt shut off.

I initially bought it to keep in the closet where i stored my rifles. Now that I've got a safe/goldenrod, it's used in the garage while tinkering. That plus a fan will raise the tolerable temperature by 10+ degrees. My GF will occasionally snag it to speed up hang drying in the laundry room or to keep bathroom dry during hot showers. (Can't do make up in steamy bathroom )

You'll be surprised how much water is removed from the air (consider a permanent drain hose if possible) but have realistic expectations. I'm not sure a large unit will help the AC cool faster but you'll feel comfortable at 75 rather than 72. So the minimal heat output is made up for, IMO.

Comment

I run 2 units. 500 foot garage and 2000 foot house. They are set to 50%. Humans need a bit of humidity.
            It's mind blowing how much water they are taking out of the air. Easily 10 gallons a day. Yes I live in tropical Houston Tx.
            During winter nothing is helping with humidity and your clothes, pictures, etc are soaking up water.
            Been meaning to start a thread on this topic.
            Electrical bill was not affected and we run them 24 hours a day. Most mornings the first thing I do is dump their water troughs.......

Comment

Look up the Aprilaire 1850 dehumidifier and also the installation manual, this will clear it u for you.
              Yes, when allied and installed properly they are worth their weight in gold. One of the optional ways to install is in the attic, but the heat load this one generates isn’t a big issue if installed right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I run a Frigidaire 70 Pint Dehumidifier FFAD7033R1 Energy Efficient at my house. I live in Corpus Christi ON the water with a canal in my backyard. I run my unit ALL DAY and it takes a big load off of my A/C unit. Annoying thing is that I have to empty the unit like 2-3 times a day.
                As far as the hot air off of the unit, yes it does put out hot air, but it runs through different cycles. It's not ALWAYS shooting hot air out.

If i didn't have this dehumidifier unit, It would be a much different feeling inside my crib.

Comment

We keep our house at 78...so i guess what ultimately is the goal is to feel more comfortable at 78 degrees so we don't have to turn the thermostat down.

Comment

Originally posted by dwactx View Post
                    We keep our house at 78...so i guess what ultimately is the goal is to feel more comfortable at 78 degrees so we don't have to turn the thermostat down.
                    I'm not sure there is a machine of any kind that could help me feel comfortable at 78 in the house. I'm burning up if its over 70.

Comment

Originally posted by dwactx View Post
                      Reminds me of my Grandmas house .

Comment

All my dehumidifiers blow hot and heat a room quickly. Our house daytime temp is 78-80. Nightime 74. Youre AC system will be much more efficient at pulling humidity out than the dehumidifier. Make sure the path to your return grill isnt closed off and your supply vents arent to close to the return. Ive installed additional returns when one wasnt sufficient enough for circulation.

A living room blower/box/ceiling fan might help to circulate the air more.

Poorly sealed doors and windows will allow alot of heat and humidity inside too.

If youve a fireplace…make sure your flue is closed.

Good luck MrDwactx.

Comment

Funny you post this
                          I installed a penguin AC and a dehuimidifier for a lady bc her central AC was overloading.
                          It pulled like a gallon of water in the first hour it ran!
                          Yes it puts out heat however it shuts off when it reaches the desired humidity. Totally worth it in my opinion as the AC was able to keep up after that install.

i used the off the shelf home depot ones they are 250$... worth every penny

Comment

I run one at my house and yes I dump it twice a day. We have 4500sqft and keep it at 68. in the bedrooms I hold right at around 50% it drops at night when the doors stay closed from the dogs going in and out all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                              I run 2 units. 500 foot garage and 2000 foot house. They are set to 50%. Humans need a bit of humidity.
                              It's mind blowing how much water they are taking out of the air. Easily 10 gallons a day. Yes I live in tropical Houston Tx.
                              During winter nothing is helping with humidity and your clothes, pictures, etc are soaking up water.
                              Been meaning to start a thread on this topic.
                              Electrical bill was not affected and we run them 24 hours a day. Most mornings the first thing I do is dump their water troughs.......
                              This is me. Friendswood and run it all the time.

I have a house on the water and I have one with a hose that I set next to the sink and run the hose into the sink so it keep dumping. Best thing ever

Comment

Working...
                              X