Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you protest the market value on land that is ag use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you protest the market value on land that is ag use?

We are in the middle of a couple of tax protests right now where the land is under ag exemption/wildlife.

The ag value of the land hasn't changed much at all, but the market value has skyrocketed in the past year (doubled on one, more than that on another)

My question is whether we should be protesting the market value even though our actual tax amounts aren't going up?

The plan right now is to file the protest and argue our case like we normally do, but I won't put that much effort into it if it doesn't matter that much.

I don’t. But probably should. It’s just a matter of time before the greedy bastids start taxing on market value.

Comment

If you are Ag exempt, you are not part of the apprasail circus. I'd keep a low profile.

Comment

Protest deadline has past.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
          We are in the middle of a couple of tax protests right now where the land is under ag exemption/wildlife.

The ag value of the land hasn't changed much at all, but the market value has skyrocketed in the past year (doubled on one, more than that on another)

My question is whether we should be protesting the market value even though our actual tax amounts aren't going up?

The plan right now is to file the protest and argue our case like we normally do, but I won't put that much effort into it if it doesn't matter that much.
          Don’t draw attention to our “hood” Rod! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
            Protest deadline has past.
            That's not correct. It's 30 days past when they mailed it to you.

Guess which county is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              I don’t. But probably should. It’s just a matter of time before the greedy bastids start taxing on market value.
              This is exactly my line of thinking.

They sure were quick to move up the value.

Comment

Originally posted by Firefyter View Post
                Don’t draw attention to our “hood” Rod! Lol
                Did yours jump up as well?

They better come at me with a long list of comps to justify 10K an acre.

Comment

If you are doing everything right it might be worth it but wouldn’t change anything on your taxes. People near me don’t seem to protest ag property as they would likely draw attention to something that might not be covered any longer as nobody seems to check ag once granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You should always protest their market value if it is not correct, AG or no AG, end of story.

Comment

I'd let a sleeping dog lie.

Comment

Kerr county had our 10 acres appraised at $250,000.00. I called and questioned it. They told me to mail them my closing documents to “see how much I payed for it and they would adjust it accordingly “.
                        My realtor said it was none of their business what we payed for it and claimed the whole shooting match is a sham. Seems like they are not doing their own due diligence and getting out and getting their boots dirty.
                        So it appears that after they adjusted it, it’s still the same Doesn’t really matter now though. I put the property on the market and had a cash offer in two weeks for $$15,000.00 more than I payed for it six months earlier. So maybe we’ll break even.
                        I will NEVER buy another piece of property without an exemption in place. Full stop. It wasn’t so much the property taxes but the school taxes. For 10 acres Harper ISD was gouging us for almost $2,400,00. For Hooterville. I the kids lived in Kerr county.
                        So, the appraiser had said that more than likely these taxes would continue to rise. I wasn’t going to bear that burden for five more years, while trying to keep a couple head of cattle on the place with food and water.
                        Folks, I think we’re headed for a bad time here with landowners being, or potentially being, taxed out of their landholdings. Can we reverse this trend?

Comment

I purchased 35 acres adjacent to my existing property in 2013 and the appraised value is now more than double what I paid. The ag value is pretty much the same and actually went down a little last year when the appraised value went up 10%. I’ve never protested my ag land but I have wondered if I should.

Comment

Protest Once they have it set, they not going down and you could lose your exemption.

Comment

Taxes suck

Comment

Working...
                              X