No announcement yet.

Oak Tree Stump Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with grinding is termites will eat the rest of the stump out and you will have a void under your concrete

Comment

What type of oak tree are you talking about and how big/old? This stuff makes a lot of difference, also the soil or ground type you have. Do you have sand, black clay, black clay and lots of rock? Live oak, post oak, white oak, red oak, pin oak?

I have removed all types of tree stumps over the years, of all sizes. Old live oaks are are the hardest tree on the planet to remove. The type of soil, will also determine how the roots grow, so you know what to expect for a root system.

Pictures would also help.

Comment

Dig down to the tap root, cut and all others. Pour a little diesel or root killer, and cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
          Just yank it hard.
          That’s always been my advice on most things in life

I’ve got close to a half dozen big stumps in and around my yard. Renting a grinder sounds like it would rattle my bones to the core. Has any one tried cutting them as low as possible, then burn them with diesel?

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            I own a tree service and can't tell you how many people tell me they're just going to remove the stump themselves. They learn real quick that saving $150 isn't worth their time and efforts.

As far as rental stump grinder go, I would insist on new teeth being installed before you rent. Most of them have dull teeth.
            I rented a stump grinder with dull teeth. Never again.

Comment

From experience I can tell you that a stump grinder will make a man out of you.

Comment

I have a buddy that does dirt work with a skid steer. He uses an attachment like the one in this link. Might be able to rent one.

Of course, he uses it to dig around the base of the tree while there is some trunk left so he can push it over with leverage. Makes quick work of it.

But maybe a little extra time and it could work on just the stump.

J

Comment

Sorry I can't help. My stump was removed by Hurricane Delta.

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post
                    sorry i can't help. My stump was removed by hurricane delta.
                    shazam !

Comment

If you have no trunk left for leverage you will need a track hoe. If you grind you will need to grind the entire thing out if building anything over it will leave a massive pit when it rots. Will ruin your road and possibly damage vehicles or break ankles. Dig around all sides with the track hoe and then beat the **** out of the stump with the bucket till its wiggling good and then pull her out.

Comment

As stated above you need to dig it out more and make sure you got the tap root cut if it has one.
                        Might be worth renting a bigger piece of equipment if you have 3 to do.

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                          I have a buddy that does dirt work with a skid steer. He uses an attachment like the one in this link. Might be able to rent one.

Of course, he uses it to dig around the base of the tree while there is some trunk left so he can push it over with leverage. Makes quick work of it.

But maybe a little extra time and it could work on just the stump.

J
                          That is exactly what I need. Thank you. My skid steer bucket is too wide, but this would work great.

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                          If you have no trunk left for leverage you will need a track hoe. If you grind you will need to grind the entire thing out if building anything over it will leave a massive pit when it rots. Will ruin your road and possibly damage vehicles or break ankles. Dig around all sides with the track hoe and then beat the **** out of the stump with the bucket till its wiggling good and then pull her out.

I am going to tske pics today, but I do have some of the trunk of the tree left. The stump is not flush with the ground. That is one reason I thought about the wheel/tire and truck option. There is about a foot of trunk sticking out of the ground

I have dug around the trees and cut all the side roots. Can't get to the tap root yet.

Comment

FYI, the only Oak specie in Texas with a "Tap Root" is a Burr Oak.

Call a local tree service and I'd bet they will give you a price just by good pictures.

Comment

You have the tops of those trees left? Pile all those tops on top of the stumps and light a fire, keep feeding the fire and just burn them out.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                                You have the tops of those trees left? Pile all those tops on top of the stumps and light a fire, keep feeding the fire and just burn them out.

Rwc
                                Don't want to burn them out. Too close to my existing driveway and too close to other trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X