Academy and IMR 4064: is this price right? Or is it gouging the consumer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
    I really need it so I would have bought it. You need to blame all the people stockpiling crazy numbers. 50k primers, 200 lbs powder, 30k bullets. Come on who needs that much. **** FOMO taking over.
    We order 30K bullets and primers and 16#s TiteGroup powder at a time(9mm), and doesn't last more than couple years.

I'm still reloading at 0.14/rd, but not sure it will last till this is over

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Greedy gun shop owners. They should only sell to regular customers.

I’ll let you in on a little secret. Regular customers that spend a lot of money get to go in the store room. Not everything goes on the shelf in every gun shop.
      This is a very accurate statement, my go to shop puts a few things out on the shelves every day but he’s been keeping the majority of it in the back room out of site for his normal customers. This has been his way of limiting who gets what and I’d suspect a lot of your smaller shops have been doing this. I swapped him some Retumbo last week for an 8 pound jug of H1000 and I was somewhat shocked at the amount of powder he had. A small little shop out in the sticks still has awesome customer service, I’ll take these places any day over the big shops

Comment

Am I hoarding? Before you answer that, just know I haven’t bought powder or primers in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And before y’all pile in, I was taking an inventory and moving out the majority to a safer location (buddy’s firework business).

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
            Am I hoarding? Before you answer that, just know I haven’t bought powder or primers in a long time.

Nice!!!

Comment

It ain't gouging. When you got limited supply and high demand, prices go up. Gouging only applies to necessities in a time of declared emergency. Scalping is when you buy something at a normal price and jack the price up to line your pockets. Works better if you blame "hoarders" in order to deflect from your greed. Academy is doing neither.

Comment

Well i have joined the stock up crowd. Kinda watching to see how this tread played out. I may not have phrased post # 2 the best as i was really trying to draw attention to the resellers and people that just buy to buy . I shoot a lot, I'm 64 and been reloading for 40 + years and retired. And although i can buy all i can I haven't until this thread. I had a probate family issue that I've been fighting for 5 months come up. I was trying to do the right thing and sell to a deserving family for a discounted price and ended up getting **** on so what the hell. I hope God understands but it seems the devil is winning and everyone is looking out for # 1. Not the same world I remember 25 years ago.

Ok slam me again.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                  Saw a picture today of a guy that just received 25 boxes of a 190 gr. Hornady bullet. Come on who buys 2500 at one time.
                  I will, for competition. New barrel equals new lot of bullets. Buying them all at one time ensures they are all the same lot. 2500 is about the life of a barrel for competition uses. Same with primers and powder. At ~43 grains of powder per load, I will need 2 8# jugs of powder for that amount of bullets. Buy those at the same time out of the same lot as well.

Comment

Last night I loaded up some test loads using some old components I need to go ahead and burn up. I figure now is the good time to use up the last of that old stuff and and save my newer stuff. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I am using the last 800 of the GM205M's I had left from the Clinton AWB/primer scare in the mid 90's, and some IMR-4064 from the mid-2000's with some Hornady 75 BTHP bullets. Nothing fancy just some good cheap pig killing loads.

Most of my components are not that old, though I do have a fair amount still from stocking up before the Obama shortages. Normally I run about a 3-5 year rotation on my heavily used components. Still have a decent stash of large rifle primers from 2012-2013.

And like bearintx said, I know a lot of guys (and I may be one of them) who will work up a load for a new barrel and then buy enough of those particular components to shoot the barrel out. Especially for a precision rifle. Saves re-developing loads when you can't find things. You may have to go back and re-tweak charge weights or seating depth to keep it shooting but you aren't starting over from scratch.
                    Last edited by Jethro; 05-27-2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	6C02B0A1-E200-4024-80AE-883396C2DE7D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	24653115

Nice score today.

Thanks to a TBHer for the tip! Finally got some Retumbo and helped a buddy out. No gouging. All fair prices. We all stay stacked pretty deep on most stuff. I’m running light on bullets. Shame on me for not being prepared! Build a jew caliber during a shortage. Always a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        [ATTACH]1051053[/ATTACH]

Nice score today.

Thanks to a TBHer for the tip! Finally got some Retumbo and helped a buddy out. No gouging. All fair prices. We all stay stacked pretty deep on most stuff. I’m running light on bullets. Shame on me for not being prepared! Build a jew caliber during a shortage. Always a good idea.
                        Nice grab. I need bullets also.. What bullets are you needing? I have 600 168gr 7mm Berger VLD hunting bullets. Might trade some for something.
                        Last edited by PondPopper; 05-27-2021, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          Nice grab. I need bullets also.. What bullets are you needing? I have 600 168gr 7mm Berger VLD hunting bullets. Might trade some for something.
                          6.5 140 accubonds. I’m shooting the 180 vld in my 7 and have plenty.

Comment

Working...
                          X