No announcement yet.

$65 osb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drove by Lumber 84 the other day in Houston. I have never seen that much lumber stacked up. There is no way there is a supply issue. This is completely demand driven.

I buy quite a bit of rough hardwood, those prices have barely moved in over a year.

Comment

Its gotten way out of hand....

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
        Hum watch the beginning 90 seconds
        https://youtu.be/iY3zjaeof8w
        My wife sent that to me a couple of days ago.

Insane

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
          You can come up with some super awesome new idea but you still need people to make it. The labor shortage is a major factor in the the lumber shortage/price increases.
          Not if your super awesome idea is a way to automate more of the production

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
            I'll bet prices will never come back down. The people that sell it will think "if they paid that much for X amount of months why bring the prices down".
            Kinda like gasoline

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
              Stop buying....good grief
              Why? It's not like they're storing it in the cellar. They are using it. Are you trying to tell me and others that we shouldn't build our homes if we want to? Are you the Gestapo?

Comment

I was talking to a neighbor here in Montana who seems to know everybody. The guys cutting trees on National Forest/ State leases are getting what they got 2 years ago for lumber. The distributors are making what they made before. It’s the mills who are making the big $$ now. It takes $10 million to build a plywood/ osb/ lumber mill today so the barrier to entry is high. And if you did build one- why not charge the going rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bill, you missed that build price for a new mill by one decimal place plus...New OSB mills are built for about $120-$160M- over the last 34 years I have been in this business I see the building starts of many mills when pricing is high but by the time they get into full production the price has come back down. I saw to day that one year ago today the price for OSB was $290/M and is now at $1245.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                    Why? It's not like they're storing it in the cellar. They are using it. Are you trying to tell me and others that we shouldn't build our homes if we want to? Are you the Gestapo?
                    I kinda took his comment as the typical response to the free market cost and demand cost increase...but i may be wrong.

Comment

That’s why new mills aren’t being built.

If the mills are colluding to artificially jack-up the price if lumber it’s antitrust- but that would need to be proven.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        That’s why new mills aren’t being built.

If the mills are colluding to artificially jack-up the price if lumber it’s antitrust- but that would need to be proven.

That would be tough to do seeing as how everything is seeing double digit increases.

Now if only wages could see some double digit increases maybe we would all shut up and gladly pony up for the higher priced lumber, gasoline, meat, and coffee.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny enough, this is similar to the IC chip business. There is a bottleneck in the process but everyone knows(or bets) its temporary, so they don't want to invest millions building new fabrication when in 2 years prices are dirt cheap again.

I also laughed at a 10mil lumber mill. Sorry, Bill. If it was 10mil we could get some TBHers to start milling.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                            I drove by Lumber 84 the other day in Houston. I have never seen that much lumber stacked up. There is no way there is a supply issue. This is completely demand driven.

I buy quite a bit of rough hardwood, those prices have barely moved in over a year.
                            I wish that were the case.

In our little town there are several shops who loan/borrow to each other when needed. If you're in a bind you go to another shop and see if they have what you need and you bring it back to them when your delivery comes in. Been like that around here for 30 years.

We are now have a "nobody gets plywood policy". We can't buy any more. The lumber yards don't have it and don't know when it it coming.

Comment

It's not just lumber. Everything is crazy expensive. The American dollar is going to hell and is losing it's value.
                              We will be building our forever home starting a year from now. All I can do is hope and pray that prices come down to at least reasonable ranges by then.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                                we are upping our homeowners insurance

Comment

Working...
                                X