No announcement yet.

Die off from the big freeze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry dry year and a big freeze to kill any remaining food sources ain't what I'm wanting.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
      I'm hoping this freeze does a number on the mosquitoes. I feel for all the people on here talking about their pipes, RV's and pools, but I'm glad we got a hard freeze in the Houston area to dwindle the mosquito population
      It doesn't seen to hurt the mosquitos in Canada. They will carry you away in the summertime.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
        It doesn't seen to hurt the mosquitos in Canada. They will carry you away in the summertime.
        This^
        Mosquitos and black flies are so abundant in the NWT that they, at times, will shift caribou herd migrations. You will see caribou resting on a snow pack when they stop for a rest, that’s so the bugs leave them along.
        A brutal texas snow is probably tropical to a mosquito comparatively.

Comment

Might be a good time to go to the coast and scoop up some fish. My dad was telling me back in '85 they went out and were scooping fish and filling all their coolers. My mom's family had recently moved down from Iowa and my grandpa was filling suitcases with fish.

Comment

Areas that are experiencing drought condition and have excess numbers will see some die off. The freeze is only one factor of many over the last six months.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
              My biggest concern would be water sources getting frozen and staying frozen...
              I have seen them lick a hole in iced over ground.

Comment

when this melts off and the sun comes out with daytime temps in the 70's next week, there will be a forb explosion. Whatever makes it through will have a good boost.
                Last edited by El General; 02-15-2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

We found a doe a couple days ago after the first bad night with 1/2" of ice on everything and it was frozen dead. There has been nothing to eat and crazy cold. I'm thinking a lot die.
                  Last edited by huntingtx; 02-16-2021, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Been putting out corn by hand the last few days and they have been hitting it at various times during the day. Never thought I would see a deer pawing through snow for corn around here....

Comment

Hopefully lots of insects

Comment

Be nice if this cold snap wiped out the fire-ants in TX.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                          Be nice if this cold snap wiped out the fire-ants in TX.

And the mosquitoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The cold is not all bad in that it takes out animals with mange and can kill of some parasites. Animals are bigger and tend to have larger hearts in colder climates, so there’s that.

Comment

Spoke w one of the King Ranch guides today & he said the Nilgai are taking a pretty bad hit from this cold.

Comment

Working...
                              X