Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Fireplace Mantle - craftsman help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Fireplace Mantle - craftsman help needed!

Okay gang. For years friends and family I’ve asked why I don’t have any deer shoulder mounts. Some have pointed out that the fireplace we have would be perfect for one. I agreed and have always said “when I short one night enough to have that fight, I will”.

So this year I was finally successful in my quest and shot a 160” class buck with my bow. Perfect hunt and recovery. I passed on this buck last year and that makes it so much sweeter!

Now fast forward, I’ve gotten the buck home from the taxidermist and told my wife a deer of this caliber needs to go over the fireplace. She wasn’t too happy but asked that if we did that, could we actually giver her a wood mantle to match our beams that run across the ceiling. Of course I think that’s a GREAT concession to make.

So now I need to make her happy. Who out there can you recommend in North Dallas (McKInney) for me to hire for this work?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by muddyz; 06-05-2021, 12:59 PM.

Here you go brother. I have just the fellow for you....and he’s in your neck of the woods in McKinney.

Contact Brian Kidwell @ 972-542-8774
    We just had this custom mantle made for the outdoor fireplace in our new home build. I gave Brian the exact dimensions and he knocked it out of the park IMO.

He custom makes these out of reclaimed western red cedar barn wood so they should last forever. Tell him Joel Gray sent you.

Great buck BTW...congrats! Mount looks really good.

Comment

Why wouldn't you just drill a hole in the grout between the stone and mount it there? That's how I did my elk. Awesome buck by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
        Why wouldn't you just drill a hole in the grout between the stone and mount it there? That's how I did my elk. Awesome buck by the way.
        I think you missed the intent.

He gets to hang his deer if he also has a mantle done per his wife’s request.

Not to hang his deer on, but installed below the deer in lieu of the old rock mantle.

That deer is definitely worth a hang.

Comment

Your right. Get the wife the wood mantle and you get to hang your buck. I didn't read it close enough.

Comment

Although I know it is done frequently. would be leery of hanging a mount over the fireplace, for what it's worth. I think the heat will cause the mount to deteriorate quicker...but I could be wrong.

Awesome buck, by the way! Congratulations.

Comment

Thanks for the input Joel!

Taxi work was done by Erick’s Taxidermy outside of Decatur. I had seen some of his work from prior years and after seeing this mount, another 160” he did and those in his shop, I’m Very glad he did the work!

Family owned and operated, and community based. - Erick's Taxidermy has been providing nation wide taxidermy services since 2012.

Good input on the temperate, in this case it’s a vaulted ceiling and it will be up there a ways so hopefully that will minimize any issues.

Comment

Old World Lumber Company

This is on the north side of Houston but they have tons of re-claimed mantles, barnwood etc.... it’s a little pricey though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man! Buck of a lifetime and a beautiful mount to boot. Don’t have any leads on the mantel but don’t put him up so high that you can’t enjoy him. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Although I know it is done frequently. would be leery of hanging a mount over the fireplace, for what it's worth. I think the heat will cause the mount to deteriorate quicker...but I could be wrong.

Awesome buck, by the way! Congratulations.
                    You are correct. We are building and I wanted to do this on the new rock fireplace. Will destroy a mount according to most taxis. Makes sense as I have antique books that were adjacent to the fireplace on a shelf and discovered it was the number 1 killer of books.

Comment

You get to shoot big A deer and give her wood?

Living the good life? Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                      X