Question from the Auto A/C guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question from the Auto A/C guys

2010 Explorer 4.6 AC is cold for the most part. It is much cooler on the passenger side than what is coming out of the drivers side. It is NOT dual control. So I have already replaced the blend door switch and no change. What am I missing on this truck? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you verified that the freon pressures are correct with it running?
    My '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee will blow cold air out of the driver side and slightly warmer air on the passenger side when it has had a leak and low on freon.

Some vehicles are known for doing this.

Comment

Check youtube for a video similar to this. There are several blend doors and on my Lincoln i pressed a series of buttong and gave me codes to say what the issue is.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9o6RGy0LTY"]2003 - 2011 Lincoln Town Car Self Test Your Climate Control EATC and CODES - What They Mean - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

We were going to hook it up to the machine but when we checked the air the air on the passenger side was like 58 and drivers side was at about 75. I will pull it in and get it hooked up to our machine. Thanks.

Comment

Evap cooler not getting cool enough to cool the entire hvac case. Could be low on Refrigerant. Could have a poor performance issue from bad components such as compressor. Likely a low Refrigerant issue.

Comment

What sort of machine? Scanner or Recovery machine? Put some guages on it for starters?

Comment

Make sure Evaporator core isn’t dirty also

Comment

I have had one like this, only one, was my buddy's Dodge 1500. It had a leaking high pressure A/C line, I replaced that, pressure teste it again, then pulled a vacuum, then charged it. I would blow cool on the driver's side and warm on the passenger's side. I pulled the blower motor and blower motor resistor, to check to see if the evaporator had restricted air flow, it had some but nothing that I could see that would amount to much.

But when I went and looked around under the hood, I could see the A/C line coming into the evaporator, that has the orifice tube in it, was freezing up. It had a thick layer of ice on the line. So I drained it and pulled the liquid line, which is a line that has a orifice tube permanently installed in it. I checked up inside that line, then beat then end of the line on the concrete. I got a lot of contaminates out of the orifice tube. The compressor is probably coming apart, but it's pumping very well. So I put another liquid line on it, vacuumed and charged it, it started cooling properly on both sides. I guess the increased restriction was only allowing enough evaporating freon through to cool half of the evaporator. I am not sure, that is the one and only time I have ever seen that before.

The thing I would check for, going off of what I found, is the liquid line freezing up. If that is happening, pull it off and check to see if there is some black chunks in the line, by beating in on a steel table or concrete, ECT. If there is a bunch of crap in the liquid line, it will need a new liquid line, but also likely a compressor. That's about the only place that contaminants can come from, unless the system has been left open for long periods of time and mud dobbers got into the lines.

There may be other causes of this problem, such as restricted air flow through the evaporator. Restricted air flow will cause the evaporator to freeze up. If half of the evaporator, has hair, lint or dust on it, those tubes will likely freeze up.

Comment

We have a recovery and replacement machine. I dont know much more about that but my mechanics do. I will also check for the frozen up lines under the hood. Thanks again all.

Comment

hooked up and checked it and it was low and is now blowing cold out of all vents. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Glad it was something relatively simple.

Comment

Working...
                      X