AC decided to give up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC decided to give up.

Got home from Father's Day dinner and the house was 84 degrees. Guess I'm not buying those new power poles for my boat now.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Bummer, if you need a good AC guy, I've got one. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Comment

Id bet it is a capacitor and not a system failure. Mine at my old house would blow one every summer. After paying to have two replaced i decided watch how to do it on the second one and it was so easy i just bought them myself after that.

Comment

Friday at 6 wife said it was getting warm. Had to call AC guy and pay the after hours premium

Dang capacitor.
        Like flywise said, easy fix. Thinking about buying a few common failure parts like capacitor to keep on hand. Was obvious when he took cover off what problem was, swollen up on top

Comment

I don't think it's going to be a easy one. Last week I thought the AC was sounding a little louder. I just said a prayer and turned the TV up a little and that fixed the noise. Procrastination is one of my superpowers.

Comment

On the bright side Jay staying at a motel for a few days makes it feel like you are on vacation instead of waiting on repairs. Hope it’s a quick fix for you my friend. I blew a capacitor on my walk in freezer last Wednesday. I always have a back up.

Comment

Glad to read that AntlerCollector is ok. thread title threw me for a loop

Comment

Mine went out Thursday. Hopefully the AC guys get here today. For those of you that replaced the capacitor yourselves, what's the easiest way to tell it's bad? I'm headed to YouTube

Comment

My 22 year old unit went out last August…….Wife was not impressed when I mentioned I would just add a window unit to the master and deal with central a/c unit later………

My biggest issue was finding a replacement unit around the central Texas area that was not already spoken for.

Rwc

Comment

Mine went out during the height of Covid at 20 years old and after the initial nutkick, it has been the best purchase we have made. The house is substantially cooler and the electric bills are lower. Not to mention the peace of mind during summers like this..

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                      Mine went out Thursday. Hopefully the AC guys get here today. For those of you that replaced the capacitor yourselves, what's the easiest way to tell it's bad? I'm headed to YouTube
                      The capacitor will almost always be swollen with a dome like top or just opened up. It’s a simple fix but you should know that it can still store energy so with power off just arc across the poles with a screw driver and then it is safe to handle without curling your hair.

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                        Use a voltage meter to check microfarads across the common, herm and fan. Your readings should be consistent across all three. Be careful they hold a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                          I don't think it's going to be a easy one. Last week I thought the AC was sounding a little louder. I just said a prayer and turned the TV up a little and that fixed the noise. Procrastination is one of my superpowers.

Could be just the fan motor, which is also an easy fix. Most are just 3 bolts-plug and play. Might get a service to come out and diagnose the problem, then decide if it's something you can tackle yourself. They'll charge you an arm and a leg for something you can do in 5 minutes.

Comment

Sure enough. AC guy guessed the capacitor, swapped it out and was gone in 20min. He showed me how to test it. Also said, sometimes they're only lasting 2 months. Quality right now is garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                              Could be just the fan motor, which is also an easy fix. Most are just 3 bolts-plug and play. Might get a service to come out and diagnose the problem, then decide if it's something you can tackle yourself. They'll charge you an arm and a leg for something you can do in 5 minutes.
                              Fans are running fine inside and out. Compressor wont start. Could be a start capacitor but the unit should have never shut off at 3pm yesterday in 100 degree heat to bring the start capacitor into the equation. I hope its something simple but my gut tells me it's not. AC guy will be out this evening, until then we are camped out in the bedrooms with portable ACs.

Comment

Working...
                              X