Protein feeder build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeder build

Needed another feeder at the lease so I threw this together. My welds have suffered with little to no practice!

Cut the box with the CNC. 11ga overkill box. 1.5” legs with 2” base. Feed tubes are 4”.

Needs a little more grinding and a coat of paint to go out this weekend.

Nice
    How much will it hold?

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
        Nice
        How much will it hold?

About 110gal so 600lbs of corn. I figure protein is pretty close?

Comment

Looks good to me! Should you put a small lip at the bottom of the feed tubes? I’m assuming the factory ones I’ve seen slow down on waste maybe or feed flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Lights Out View Post
            Looks good to me! Should you put a small lip at the bottom of the feed tubes? I’m assuming the factory ones I’ve seen slow down on waste maybe or feed flow.

I don’t think this one will need them. But I’m gonna bring some to the lease to throw in there real quick if we need them.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
              About 110gal so 600lbs of corn. I figure protein is pretty close?
              Depending on pellet size it’s 450ish lbs of protein compared to 600 of corn I believe.

Comment

Just my thoughts but I bet at that angle all of your feed will just pour out on the ground.

Comment

Protein feeder build

That turned out nice!

You are definitely going to need to add a lip to the bottom of the chutes. You may also need to weld a baffle further into the chute to keep the feed from pouring out. I would suggest not completely welding the lip or drilling a hole in the bottom so that water will not sit in the chute when it rains.

Did you put any sort of funnel in the hopper? You’re probably going to have quite a bit of feed build up in the middle if you didn’t.
                  Last edited by Raider4044; 03-30-2022, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Protein feeder build

Did you put a set of plates inside to divert the feed to the edges where the funnels are? That along with plates at the end of the tubes and a few drilled holes behind the plate is all I would of done differently. Just to hold feed and attempt to drain any water that gets in the tubes.

Also, ive got one I made out of 2 - 55gal barrels welded together, with a funnel inside, and it holds 11 bags. So I bet you hold pretty close to that if its 110gal as mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Last edited by BURTONboy; 03-30-2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I'm thinking the length of the straight piece will keep the feed from pouring out, but will add a piece of flat to act as a dam on the bottom this weekend. I based these tubes off my last feeder build (that I'm going to have to rebuild) because the feed was getting stuck in the tubes and not making it out.

I havent welded it in yet, but there's a baffle to go inside that will direct the feed over the feed tubes and won't allow it to build up in the middle.

Comment

Be sure to coat the inside edges with some sort of hydroban or rubber coat bc guaranteed it will start to rot from feed that sits

That metal loves to condensate and rust

Nice work

Comment

Got her painted. Will probably throw another coat on with spray cans once it’s in place.

Comment

Nice work Justin!

Comment

Looks great, a very nice project. Report back next week how it worked for you, good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X