6.5 creedmoor for Aoudad/Nilgai?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know some hate the round but me and my daughter have killed a bunch of deer with it. We shoot Hornaday Precision Hunter 143 ELDX. I'm wanting to chase Aoudad and Nilgai over the next few years and I know both of them have a reputation for being able to absorb led. Anyone have real world experience, or first hand knowledge, shooting either of these with the 6.5 creedmoor. I'd rather not have to buy a new rifle if I don't have to. Thanks!

If you are using an outfitter for nilgai, I don't know of many that will let you use the creedmoor. Will it work? Sure, with perfect shot placement. But nilgai are tough and can soak up a lot of lead.

Aoudad are tough as well but the creed will be fine. I have seen several shot with a 6.5. With good shot placement, we have never had a problem.

If you decide to use the creed for either animal, I personally would shy away from the Eld-X. Go with a tried and true bonded bullet. Accubond, Partition, TTSX, etc.

Comment

I wouldn’t. Yeah it can work. But you’re taking a huge risk on the nilgai unless it’s a neck shot. And the eldx isn’t a very good bullet as stated above.

I dropped my big ram with my 6.5 prc shooting 140 accubonds. Huge body. So I’d think the creed wouldn’t have as big of an issue there. But nilgai is a different beast.

Comment

dropped w 6.5 grendel

shot placement.

6.5 creed is plenty IMO. shouldn't be a problem if placement is right on.
        Attached Files

Comment

Aoudad shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve killed several Ewes and a smaller Ram with a 6.5 Creed and ELD-Xs. It wouldn’t be my first choice if I was specifically hunting them, but that’s what I carried as a truck gun at the time and was instructed by the landowner to kill every one we saw. I’d try to to find a load with some Accubonds if I were you. ELD-X would probably still do the job on a large ram, but I wouldn’t say it’s ideal, as it’s definitely not the toughest bullet.

Nilgai are a totally different story. I’d definitely find a larger caliber for them. I doubt there are many outfitters, if any at all, that will allow a 6.5 creed.
          Last edited by Raider4044; 02-17-2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I shot a Nilgai bull 3 inches below the ear and forward toward the jaw area with a .338 running and never knocked him off of his feet. Had to catch up to him and finish him off. The only way I would use the Creedmoor is a high neck shot. And I’m a Creedmoor fan. Borrow the right gun if you can.

Comment

Nilgai no, Auodad yes.

Comment

Even though everyone will say that is well under what is needed, they will get the job done. I have a buddy who shot two nilgai with his 6.5 and they didn’t go far at all.

Comment

Dropped a auodad 400 yards in its tracks.

Comment

Bullet composition is more important than the diameter of the hole, in your case. If you're dead set on the 6.5 Creed, I'd look for some partitions or Barnes TSX.

Comment

Aoudad would be okay
                      I wouldn’t shoot a Nilgai with a 6.5 cm and I dang sure would not shoot one with an eld-x

Comment

3006 class with a heavy bonded bullet, Partition or TTSX as stated above. The worst feeling in the world is getting a good hit and not recovering the animal

Comment

I have seen it knock down wildebeest and kudu.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                            Aoudad would be okay
                            I wouldn’t shoot a Nilgai with a 6.5 cm and I dang sure would not shoot one with an eld-x
                            BINGO! What he said.

Audad all day. Nilgai cows with a 6.5. But not a bull. I wouldn't use that eld-x on a bull. I'd use a better round to punch through if I had to use one.

Comment

We shoot them with 6.5 CMs. 130 grain Swift Scirrocco to the neck or high shoulder will do it under a couple hundred yards. I prefer a .257 Wby Mag but the 6.5 is capable with good placement and a good bonded bullet. That’s what we give most of our younger hunters to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X