Osha violations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osha violations...

Anyone familiar with how they come to a violation amount? We got popped for a few small violations and for not having a safety ladder/swing gate on a set of scaffolding. Got the violation today and we owe $23,500 to the man. Just seems kinda excessive to me.

Life critical violations draw bigger fines. If you’ve been cited for the same issues previously you draw bigger fines.

You can go online and look up why other companies have been fined for violations.

Contest it. It’ll go down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
      Life critical violations draw bigger fines. If you’ve been cited for the same issues previously you draw bigger fines.

You can go online and look up why other companies have been fined for violations.

Contest it. It’ll go down.

Thanks, this is our first time for any violation. We stated our company last year. We had a hotshot bring us the stuff to the job that next morning out of Houston. I will check their website out.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
        Thanks, this is our first time for any violation. We stated our company last year. We had a hotshot bring us the stuff to the job that next morning out of Houston. I will check their website out.

You need to provide your safety plan, and any other data, was super on site when these issues occured, were these subs,

You definitely need to appeal the fines but you will need documentation. A GC awe worked for got hit for 13,500 all scaffolding fines and they provided everything I stated above and got it reduced to 2500.00.

Comment

OSHA consoders it a repeat violation if you have a company with different plant locations all over .. 1 company gets a Violation and another location gets the same Violation ..

Comment

Was it cited as serious, other than serious, willful, or repeated?

It is not as easy to abate citations as it use to be with OSHA. Set up an informal meeting with them and be ready to state your case. If they are going to budge they will do it then or shortly thereafter you agree to their mitigation plan. Good Luck!

Comment

23k is nuts .

Comment

Were they there for a random inspection or to investigate an injury?

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                  You need to provide your safety plan, and any other data, was super on site when these issues occured, were these subs,

You definitely need to appeal the fines but you will need documentation. A GC awe worked for got hit for 13,500 all scaffolding fines and they provided everything I stated above and got it reduced to 2500.00.

We don't have a safety plan....yet. the gc for the job was there on site and yes we were working subs. We have contacted a lawyer friend who says he can get the fines reduced

We only have one company not other "plants"
                  Last edited by twistedmidnite; 09-22-2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Was this inspection because of an injury, complaint, or just a surprise inspection? If someone was injured it is more difficult to lower the citation and you will need training records etc. If it is just something they found in a routine inspection you should be able to lower it substantially once you show you did everything you could to comply along with any special circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post

It is not as easy to abate citations as it use to be with OSHA. Set up an informal meeting with them and be ready to state your case. If they are going to budge they will do it then or shortly thereafter you agree to their mitigation plan. Good Luck!
                      I'm not sure on which yet, haven't actually saw the paperwork.
                      Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      23k is nuts .
                      My thoughts as well
                      Originally posted by Howdy View Post
                      Were they there for a random inspection or to investigate an injury?
                      Random

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post

I have been out of the workplace for a few years. No doubt the fine is there but I would be more concerned if it is one of the classifications above for future business.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay6x45 View Post
                          Was this inspection because of an injury, complaint, or just a surprise inspection? If someone was injured it is more difficult to lower the citation and you will need training records etc. If it is just something they found in a routine inspection you should be able to lower it substantially once you show you did everything you could to comply along with any special circumstances.
                          No injuries, it was just a random inspection. These subs have been doing it their whole life and have never had a swing gate or safety ladder. They cussed when we made them use them the next day. Actually it looked more dangerous having to go in and out of the gate hanging on up top

Comment

They popped us for around $80k. I was not directly involved, but we ended up paying $15k. Our folks that handle that say they always go high knowing you will pay less, sometimes a lot less.

Comment

You have to be the lowest of the low to fine somebody for that amount of money for some cs violation.

Comment

Working...
                              X