No announcement yet.

SHNF hunting 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my antlerless tag, now I'll only see small buck all year!

Comment

No antlerless tag for me either once again. Oh well. I put in about 120 miles of driving and 4 miles of walking today. I found a couple deer. I've been hunting the east side for the last 3 years and decided I needed a change of scenery so I went for a Drive. I did see many more people today than I have in the previous 3 years put together. Maybe the areas I went to are just popular. Good luck to everyone I'm hoping this thread will pick up a little, it's been pretty mild the last few seasons.

Comment

I’ve had the worst luck pulling an antlerless tag at SHNF. Nada again this year.

I typically see lots of does pre-season and in archery (always out of range) and then ONLY does during rifle. but the one year I drew the antlerless tag I couldn’t find a single one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Antlerless tag

I antlerless tag for me this year, guess I have to get it done in October.

Comment

For those of you who use a mountain bike. How do you pack out kills? Carts, backpack, strap them to the handlebars?

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
              I noticed that last year.
              I've been gone for 5 years, but I remember the get togethers and the opening morning lunch. And of course a little smack talk.
              I still step in just to look around. I dont hunt the Sam anymore. People posting locations on the internet , its gotten really crazy. Its definitely not the same as it used to be. The first few get togethers were fun, pizza shack and the fish pond.

Comment

Back when you had to mail in a post card for the antlerless tag drawing I got one every year. Once they switched to online I haven’t gotten one since. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
                  I still step in just to look around. I dont hunt the Sam anymore. People posting locations on the internet , its gotten really crazy. Its definitely not the same as it used to be. The first few get togethers were fun, pizza shack and the fish pond.
                  Yep. Those were good times. It’s turned into a **** show though, and all the folks who were hunting out there back then kinda moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by MTXHUNTER View Post
                    For those of you who use a mountain bike. How do you pack out kills? Carts, backpack, strap them to the handlebars?
                    I rig up a game cart and pull it with the bike. It is fastened to the bike in such a way the bike won't fall over. Think of it as a big set of training wheels. It fastens to the rear wheel and up to the post under the seat forming a triangle to support the front bar of the game cart. I put my climber on it going in. I also installed washers and neoprene between washers between any noisy connections. Camo tape is your friend.

Comment

Anyone seen their game cam pix yet? And see anything good?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTXHUNTER View Post
                        Back when I seriously hunted the Sam, I would bow hunt in Oct but also used that time to pack in what I needed for rifle season like 2 carts, one at 3 miles, one at 4 and hide well. I would pack in climbing stands, cases of water and Gatorade. One time when my wife and I were dating, we were hunting and getting thirsty so I asked her if she wanted something to drink. I stepped off in the woods about 75 yds and returned with two Gatorade bottles from my stash, I had them all spread out near the road where I hunted. I didn't want to carry heavy stuff when I was hunting.
                        One time I shot a nice buck and the doe it was following. That was no fun bringing both out, making two 7 mile round trips. I swore I would never do that again.

Comment

Asked this question last year and didn’t get much response from green screen or from emails with park rangers.

I found a couple trails with blue aluminum circles nailed into trees every 20-30 yards. Walked about half a mile along both trails and markers were still there. Couldn’t find them listed on any map though. Any idea what trail system that might be? Found a few promising spots in same area as trails but since I had no idea where trails went was concerned about 150 yard rule near roads and trails.

Comment

Originally posted by Miketex2016 View Post
                            Asked this question last year and didn’t get much response from green screen or from emails with park rangers.

I found a couple trails with blue aluminum circles nailed into trees every 20-30 yards. Walked about half a mile along both trails and markers were still there. Couldn’t find them listed on any map though. Any idea what trail system that might be? Found a few promising spots in same area as trails but since I had no idea where trails went was concerned about 150 yard rule near roads and trails.
                            I don't think those are trails. I could be wrong on that. It maybe tracts to be thinned or sold. Did you see any papers or placards posted in the area? Were these in areas of pines that were of the same size and fairly thick? Do you think they could have just been fire breaks? These are on borders and around younger pine stands. I find fire breaks often circle the planted pine stands. How high were they? Did they have anything other than just being blue? Any numbers or such?

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                              I don't think those are trails. I could be wrong on that. It maybe tracts to be thinned or sold. Did you see any papers or placards posted in the area? Were these in areas of pines that were of the same size and fairly thick? Do you think they could have just been fire breaks? These are on borders and around younger pine stands. I find fire breaks often circle the planted pine stands. How high were they? Did they have anything other than just being blue? Any numbers or such?
                              No placards or signs that I could see. Area was not super dense and trees were different sizes. Some older some younger. It was clearly some type of trail because it looked like it had been cleared out but you had growth along sides like marked trails had. At one point it crossed the main trail. The markers were about 10 feet high easy to spot.

Comment

I’ve never hunted SHNF, but I’m thinking out going out there and doing some scouting and maybe doing some weekend hunts. Couple of questions, can you camp in the designated areas during hunting season? Which would be most effective, a climber, sticks and a lock on, or a pop up? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X