Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 06-29-2022, 02:51 AM   #51
Yakinthebox
Six Point

Hunt In: Upper TX Coast

I feel like the guys who are saying they never draw must only be putting in for the absolute prime hunts. Maybe I'm wrong...

I've been doing this draw thing for 5 years, this year makes 6 and I have drawn at least something every year.

I've been to Laguna Atascosa NWR twice for archery and actually have been drawn 4 times.
Been on an archery hunt at The Chap. (Bad hunt but awesome place)
Been on a rifle hunt at Balcones Canyonlands NWR. (terrible hunt)
and been on a rifle hunt at Trinity River NWR.
Yakinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 04:14 AM   #52
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakinthebox View Post
I feel like the guys who are saying they never draw must only be putting in for the absolute prime hunts. Maybe I'm wrong...

I've been doing this draw thing for 5 years, this year makes 6 and I have drawn at least something every year.

I've been to Laguna Atascosa NWR twice for archery and actually have been drawn 4 times.
Been on an archery hunt at The Chap. (Bad hunt but awesome place)
Been on a rifle hunt at Balcones Canyonlands NWR. (terrible hunt)
and been on a rifle hunt at Trinity River NWR.
Not even close, never put in for Chap etc yet you see people who draw that multiple times. I put us all in for hunts that are statistically way better odds. The system is off, it's not pure random I think there's logic errors in their selection system. I put in for Laguna in every category possible, never been drawn.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 07:58 AM   #53
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I'm in the camp with with Yak. Been drawn 3 of the 4 years at Laguna for archery and once rifle. Been drawn several times at Chap and others. But I have been entering in drawings off & on for over 35 years. I want to get Powderhorn before the Sambar are all removed.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 08:20 AM   #54
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: AK & TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Not even close, never put in for Chap etc yet you see people who draw that multiple times. I put us all in for hunts that are statistically way better odds. The system is off, it's not pure random I think there's logic errors in their selection system. I put in for Laguna in every category possible, never been drawn.
I do this to a T. Yes I put in for the premiums but also the statistically easy draws in the same categories but, been saying the same as you for years. I have never been drawn for Laguna either and have put in for it every year in every category they offer as well. There's something to the system where it rewards new applicants and once your name or number gets drawn a time or two it seems to start being drawn on a regular basis. It's aggravating as getting a permit in my home state has been a wild goose chase to say the least.
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 09:20 AM   #55
ABWGTX
Four Point

Just checking in. Chasing snapper Friday but thinking hunting. Ready to spend my pennies on the anticipation of the draw hunts. Lot of good guys from past hunts in this thread and hopefully some new ones to meet in future adventures. Good luck gentlemen!
ABWGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 12:22 PM   #56
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

Have yet won in 6 years. Big Bend Mule deer come on this year. Plzzzzzzz
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 12:24 PM   #57
simek
Ten Point

Quote:
The system is off, it's not pure random I think there's logic errors in their selection system.
You are correct. It is not pure random. It's based on loyalty points.
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #58
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by simek View Post
You are correct. It is not pure random. It's based on loyalty points.
The points are just extra tickets in the raffle, so seems to me the raffle would be random. I don't know how they run their system obviously, but something's up with it. Just look at the separations in this thread, some guys draw consistently and some never draw. There's also been quite a bit of speculation for being weighted towards first time applicants, we see first time applicants every year draw multiple hunts.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:58 PM   #59
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

Quote:
The points are just extra tickets in the raffle, so seems to me the raffle would be random. I don't know how they run their system obviously, but something's up with it. Just look at the separations in this thread, some guys draw consistently and some never draw. There's also been quite a bit of speculation for being weighted towards first time applicants, we see first time applicants every year draw multiple hunts.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bowtecmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #60
RGV Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Quote:
I have been putting in for the rifle hunts at Laguna Atascosa for over 20 years and have never been drawn. I know of people that put in for it one time and get drawn. So this points system is not legitimate. There is no way it is legitimate when someone who has just put in once gets drawn and I have been spending my money on these draws for over twenty years with no luck.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 03:08 PM   #61
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: AK & TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV Hunter View Post
I have been putting in for the rifle hunts at Laguna Atascosa for over 20 years and have never been drawn. I know of people that put in for it one time and get drawn. So this points system is not legitimate. There is no way it is legitimate when someone who has just put in once gets drawn and I have been spending my money on these draws for over twenty years with no luck.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Been my thoughts for a long time. It has nothing to do with me not knowing how to apply or putting in for nothing but premium hunts. Granted the one time I drew was an incredible trip but as many points as I have and as many permits and places I put in for I should have at least drawn more than 1 permit in 21 years.
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 03:34 PM   #62
CTR0022
Ten Point

I think the 22/23 hunts get posted July 1st
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 03:39 PM   #63
bigchiefj
Eight Point

The maximum number of points you can have in the National Refuge General Deer category is 6 because TPWD started handling that draw in 2016.

I remember sending my application directly to Laguna Atascosa to apply in the years prior to 2016 and they didn't have preference points.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #64
howabouttheiris
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchiefj View Post
I remember sending my application directly to Laguna Atascosa to apply in the years prior to 2016 and they didn't have preference points.
Back when they only got a few 100 applications for the draws, I had 2-3 hunts at Balcones Canyonlands. As you said, it was with the old system with applications sent directly to the Preserve. I got my oldest his only hunt and 1st deer there. I am 0 for 6 since. My 2nd son is a Junior this year and has yet to get out for a hunt.
howabouttheiris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 07:03 PM   #65
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

This will be my 13th year for GDE. And my 12th last year for GDA. I did get drawn for that one, finally! Granted, we are putting in for some low draw possibilities, on very popular hunts. But it wasn't like that when we started. Same with the other hunts I've put in for. As my points accumulate, I put in for hunts that are less likely to be drawn. And there's a reason for that less likelihood. Think most of you are able to figure that out . Course, there are some hunts I have no desire to go on, that some of yall do. Guess I'ma help-n ya out by not putting in for those hunts . And then some of yall still had diapers on, or weren't born yet, when I first started hunting public lands. This draw thing is just another place for me to go. So, I'ma little more selective on where I wanna go, if drawn. There's lots of other public lands that aren't draw hunts too, that are free for the going. And lots of other types of draws beside TP&W.

I expect that Sambar hunt to be extremely popular this year due all the attention it got last year. I'll prob put in for those 2 also.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 07:25 PM   #66
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

They’ll never remove all the Sambar with the draw hunts unless they went in with a helicopter. They’re dumb as rocks when we went but it was the second year of that place being open. Place is awesome and game rich. If I ever go back I’m chasing my
Sambar with a bow. They get in the ponds and eat the vegetation
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 07:32 PM   #67
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

I feel the same way on 1st timers. I think they get drawn so they get them hooked on entering. We put in for alot of regular hunts or hunting places and it has been 20+ years since we have been drawn on any hunt. Used to get pulled for a doe hunt every 3 or 4 years. We have been putting in for these hunts for 40+ years. Something ain't right.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 08:32 PM   #68
Yakinthebox
Six Point

Hunt In: Upper TX Coast

I hear what y'all are saying but,

This is my 6th season putting in and I've yet to get skunked. So unless you consider 5+ years in the game as new still then I don't get the thought of it leaning towards new applicants.

I too put in for some of the prime hunts and fully expect to not draw any of those for many years.

I'm hopeful that my kids will draw some awesome hunts though.

Happy hunting gentlemen and hope some of you long time entrants finally draw this season!
Yakinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 08:02 AM   #69
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post
They’ll never remove all the Sambar with the draw hunts unless they went in with a helicopter. They’re dumb as rocks when we went but it was the second year of that place being open. Place is awesome and game rich. If I ever go back I’m chasing my
I think that is what they do. I'm gonna call them this summer to ask if they did that this year. Soon it won't be worth applying for,
Old 06-30-2022, 08:31 PM   #70
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Hunt In: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
I think that is what they do. I'm gonna call them this summer to ask if they did that this year. Soon it won't be worth applying for,
The PHWMA biologist job is to remove all non native species, on paper. However, due to the popularity and interest the WMA provides by having this unique species, there is some push back, I believe. If the WMA wanted to eradicate sambar, it would have been done already.

Having experienced it, it is most certainly a one-of-a-kind WMA and hunt. I recommend it, the staff is top notch and committed to each hunter having a successful and memorable experience. Yet, I do feel sambar numbers have and will continue to decline with harvests year after year. This still provides the opportunity for a hunter to harvest a sambar, however I believe over time the success rates will decrease dramatically, especially for a trophy stag. I state this because of what I learned during my experience. Sambar can live up to 27 years of age, however, it is not until a stag reaches a minimum of 6yrs of age until they develop a 3x3 set of antlers. When considering a trophy sambar stag, keep in mind 3x3 is the maximum, yet the more mature trophy stag with many years of age are the "trophy" stags that yield the mass, lengths and widths. Those "TROPHY" stags, I feel will become obsolete as the hunt continues throughout the years to come. Why? They will never be able to reach the age classes as it was prior to the state taking ownership and conducting draw hunts.

Just my thoughts.
Mr. Public is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #71
8th1
Four Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...tegories.phtml

Pick and choose time.
8th1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 10:05 PM   #72
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Public View Post
The PHWMA biologist job is to remove all non native species, on paper. However, due to the popularity and interest the WMA provides by having this unique species, there is some push back, I believe. If the WMA wanted to eradicate sambar, it would have been done already.

Having experienced it, it is most certainly a one-of-a-kind WMA and hunt. I recommend it, the staff is top notch and committed to each hunter having a successful and memorable experience. Yet, I do feel sambar numbers have and will continue to decline with harvests year after year. This still provides the opportunity for a hunter to harvest a sambar, however I believe over time the success rates will decrease dramatically, especially for a trophy stag. I state this because of what I learned during my experience. Sambar can live up to 27 years of age, however, it is not until a stag reaches a minimum of 6yrs of age until they develop a 3x3 set of antlers. When considering a trophy sambar stag, keep in mind 3x3 is the maximum, yet the more mature trophy stag with many years of age are the "trophy" stags that yield the mass, lengths and widths. Those "TROPHY" stags, I feel will become obsolete as the hunt continues throughout the years to come. Why? They will never be able to reach the age classes as it was prior to the state taking ownership and conducting draw hunts.

Just my thoughts.
Very good knowledge. The way I looked at them is just picture a big axis deer and they’re trophy size that’s for sure. When I killed mine I had already killed a axis and that was my sole goal was to find and kill a axis in there. So I really wasn’t hunting a stag but came into a pond and a I could see big fronts on the one and decided then that I guess I would shoot one. I went in for trophy animals only and was perfectly fine with leaving empty handed. I just got lucky I guess
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2022, 10:12 PM   #73
Huntindad
Pope & Young

I have a message with the the PHWMA asking about the numbers of Sambar. Will be a deciding factor if I put in for the GDE. Been wanting to get back to Chap and have 17 or so points
Old 06-30-2022, 10:17 PM   #74
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

I seem to get drawn about every 3-4 years for something.I only put in for places I really want to hunt but I do apply to atleast one in every category. I’ve done archery deer twice (less applicants). One draw for doe rifle with about 10 points and one gator that was cancelled due to hurricane, haven’t re drawn that tag yet.
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 04:22 AM   #75
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post
they said they haven't shot any from helicopter but have trapped them before & are discussing whether to do it again
Old 07-01-2022, 04:30 AM   #76
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
they said they haven't shot any from helicopter but trapped them before & are discussing whether to do it again
Dang you are up early Sir. Great info thank you for sharing. I am planning on putting in this year.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 06:00 AM   #77
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public/Childress

Draw hunts are open..

time to open up them wallets fellas

edit: getting error message when trying to apply

Last edited by hully1029; 07-01-2022 at 06:06 AM.
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 06:54 AM   #78
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land & Hamilton
Default Texas Draw Hunts

Juat saw where they doubled the number of hunters per hunt for LRGV Schaleben. I did that last year and we had 4 guys on our hunt(8 were drawn but 4 showed up) which felt about right considering 90% of the place was so thick it was unhuntable. 16 people per hunt would be an absolute joke imo. There wouldnt even be room for that many people to park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Phorizt; 07-01-2022 at 06:59 AM.
Phorizt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 07:07 AM   #79
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Dang you are up early Sir. Great info thank you for sharing. I am planning on putting in this year.
Not by choice. Had production problems and Computer OPS called me. I'm on call this week.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:34 AM   #80
justindfw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney public land

Draw hunts are up but an error pops up when trying to apply.
justindfw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 07:47 AM   #81
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Finally ...
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 08:11 AM   #82
justindfw
Ten Point

Anyone else having trouble actually applying?
Old 07-01-2022, 08:20 AM   #83
LeverBow
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Errors when I try to apply.
LeverBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 08:23 AM   #84
TxBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverBow View Post
Errors when I try to apply.
same
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 08:31 AM   #85
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Hunt In: Too many to list

Let the games begin!

Please Try again later🥸.

Mr. Public is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 08:42 AM   #86
Matthewc131
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas Coast, Central & East Texas

Yup, I had the same problem when I tried to apply.
Matthewc131 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 09:51 AM   #87
Xring
Nubbin' Buck

I'll make my annual donation soon
Xring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 10:01 AM   #88
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Same.
Are they aware of the issue?

update:
Looks like its working now.

Last edited by tdwinklr; 07-01-2022 at 10:12 AM.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #89
camoclad
Ten Point

Hunt In: central tx

Buckle up buckaroos
camoclad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 11:27 AM   #90
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Public View Post
Let the games begin!

Please Try again later🥸.

LOL!

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #91
CTR0022
Ten Point

Does anyone know how the odds work, particularly the applicants?

Lets say there are 1,000 applicants in last years hunt.

Is that 1,000 individual applicants plus everyone's preference points, which could be 10,000 names in the hat?

Or is it more like 300 individual applicants plus all their preference points which add up to a total of 1,000 applicants in the hat to draw from?
Old 07-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #92
Mitchell8
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

When are we going to give preference to residents and limit non residents on these?
Mitchell8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #93
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land & Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
Does anyone know how the odds work, particularly the applicants?

Lets say there are 1,000 applicants in last years hunt.

Is that 1,000 individual applicants plus everyone's preference points, which could be 10,000 names in the hat?

Or is it more like 300 individual applicants plus all their preference points which add up to a total of 1,000 applicants in the hat to draw from?

It is 1000 applicants not counting preference points. With the cubed system if the average number of years is 5 years that is 5x5x5= 125 x 1000= 125000 names in the hat. So the odds are very slim without a bunch of points.

Phorizt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 01:05 PM   #94
CTR0022
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
It is 1000 applicants not counting preference points. With the cubed system if the average number of years is 5 years that is 5x5x5= 125 x 1000= 125000 names in the hat. So the odds are very slim without a bunch of points.

No wonder in have 8,9 10, 11 points in all categories. Even with those points the odds of drawing are slim if my math is right.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:10 PM   #95
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
No wonder in have 8,9 10, 11 points in all categories. Even with those points the odds of drawing are slim if my math is right.
Yet first timers will draw 2 or 3 hunts every year lol.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #96
piercebronkite
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell8 View Post
When are we going to give preference to residents and limit non residents on these?
Thats a pipe dream. How about even having a non residence application fee too?
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #97
justindfw
Ten Point

It works. I dropped 75 bucks today. Will do more next payday. Six or seven years of no draws for me.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #98
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindfw View Post
It works. I dropped 75 bucks today. Will do more next payday. Six or seven years of no draws for me.
If they ever fix the system some of yall are gonna get a surprise and draw like 10 hunts.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:29 PM   #99
Charl
Nubbin' Buck

I applied for almost any Archery hunt available. All I can do now is wait.
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #100
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
Juat saw where they doubled the number of hunters per hunt for LRGV Schaleben. I did that last year and we had 4 guys on our hunt(8 were drawn but 4 showed up) which felt about right considering 90% of the place was so thick it was unhuntable. 16 people per hunt would be an absolute joke imo. There wouldnt even be room for that many people to park.

Archery is showing 48 permits for 6 hunt dates, so 8 peeps per hunt, yeah? What's the acreage on that place?