No announcement yet.

New Helix Ranch lake project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven’t done much fishing lately. We’ve been having to use more chemicals lately to keep the pondweed down. The lack of rain and extreme heat has been brutal. We did add 50 triploid grass carp to help.

Been focused on finishing the barndo and the deer. After some bumps in the road and a GC switch, we are finally making good progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This has been a cool project to follow.

Comment

Good luck with the grass carp! If they get out of control you can run the riding mower down the bank and shoot em off the mower! Course by that point you won’t have a shred of grass left in there!

Comment

Curious - And what point will it make sense to start removing some number of smaller bass? And what will be the plan (numbers? target size for removal?).

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
            Good luck with the grass carp! If they get out of control you can run the riding mower down the bank and shoot em off the mower! Course by that point you won’t have a shred of grass left in there!
            Thanks. They are triploid. They can not reproduce.

Comment

The old GC switch is never good. Thanks for the update and your place is looking great.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                Curious - And what point will it make sense to start removing some number of smaller bass? And what will be the plan (numbers? target size for removal?).
                Very good question. It’s a combination of catch rates and electro surveys. We will do the next survey in the fall and depending on what we see we may cull some of the smaller fish.

Comment

Ranch is looking right Spiffy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                    Thanks. They are triploid. They can not reproduce.
                    They said the same thing about the ones they put in lake Austin. Ate every shred of grass plus all the reeds on the bank....lake hasn't been the same since they out them in about 5 or 6 years ago. Was tuning out multiple SALs every year and think they have had one or 2 since the grass carp.

Comment

great thread! I have owned three different properties over the years with nice ponds on them - house we live in now has a pond. It became a hobby for me years ago. Really a fun challenge. You have done it right.

I added F1's earlier this year - one and a half lbs to three pounders.

I am sure you are feeding protein. And you are right - keeping the weeds down this time of year is a challenge. Is yours just run off or do you have a wet weather spring?

We drilled a well by ours where we can pump water into it when our spring stops flowing and evaporation hits.

I am sure you are familiar with Pond Boss - I use their forum all of the time and there are some really helpful professionals on there.

Enjoy your pond!

Comment

Brandon,
                        It is fun to follow along on your ranch and pond adventuress, you guys are doing it first class! Enjoy, the journey and the results! Congrats!!

I know how much work it involves. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                          They said the same thing about the ones they put in lake Austin. Ate every shred of grass plus all the reeds on the bank....lake hasn't been the same since they out them in about 5 or 6 years ago. Was tuning out multiple SALs every year and think they have had one or 2 since the grass carp.
                          Supposedly these were individually DNA tested. Who knows!? I just hope they do their job!

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                            great thread! I have owned three different properties over the years with nice ponds on them - house we live in now has a pond. It became a hobby for me years ago. Really a fun challenge. You have done it right.

I added F1's earlier this year - one and a half lbs to three pounders.

I am sure you are feeding protein. And you are right - keeping the weeds down this time of year is a challenge. Is yours just run off or do you have a wet weather spring?

We drilled a well by ours where we can pump water into it when our spring stops flowing and evaporation hits.

I am sure you are familiar with Pond Boss - I use their forum all of the time and there are some really helpful professionals on there.

Enjoy your pond!
                            Just run off. I do have an old well I need to see about re-purposing to feed the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
                              Brandon,
                              It is fun to follow along on your ranch and pond adventuress, you guys are doing it first class! Enjoy, the journey and the results! Congrats!!

I know how much work it involves. Lol
                              Thanks, bud!

Yes you do!

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                                Supposedly these were individually DNA tested. Who knows!? I just hope they do their job!
                                If they are anything like the ones they put in LA they will definitely eat some grass!! All of it. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X