5.56/.223 Hunting Ammo Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.56/.223 Hunting Ammo Recommendation

Just got a RR AR that I set up with a thermal and looking for recommendations on good (somewhat readily available) hunting ammunition. I really only ever shoot hogs and coyotes at ~100 yards or less. I do not shoot at the range or shoot large amounts. I will also eventually be mounting a Deadair Nomad Ti Suppressor on the gun once my paperwork gets back from the government.

I have heard that the Frontier BTHP Match ammunition is pretty good & they are normally available at my local Academy. Haven't tried them as I haven't even shot the gun yet (had it for 2 months... been working too much).

I am not much concerned with the price, as again I do not go through that many rounds. I just want something that will shoot good through my gun & hopefully that has a chance of being in stock. I will buy a few different boxes in order to see what the gun likes best. I do not want to shoot FMJ's.
    Last edited by kingfisher_jr; 02-04-2022, 01:27 PM.

Speer Gold Dot.

Comment

Quite a few different 60+ grain soft points usually floating around at academy. All will do the job well. Don’t have to go fancy or over think it.

I handload the 65gr Sierra gameking now, but before I shot the Federal Fusion and Winchester power points. Believe they were 62 and 64gr respectively but can’t remember. They did great for pigs and deer.

Comment

If you're head-shotting them it won't really matter. We just use our Gold Dots but for deer and behind the shoulder shots used to have really good results with the Fusion MSR stuff.

Comment

I have had good results out of the 55 gr American Gunner hp, hornady 55 gr spire point, and pmc 55 gr soft points. All are cheap to shoot and I had good results on pigs and yotes.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been impressed by these on hogs big and small.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220204_145003349_copy_600x800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	24675180

Comment

I shoot the 223 Hornady WT hunter and has never let me down.

God Bless
              Bish

Comment

Store bought...62gr Fed Fusion
                Online... 64gr Speer Gold dots
                Reloads...anything Nosler Accubond or Barnes TTSX will be good depending on the twist rate of your barrel.

Comment

77gr Sierra tipped Match Kings wreckkk stuff
                  DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ 176 PAGES? HERE'S THE CHEAT SHEET. “Bullets matter more than headstamps.” “Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”. I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened. The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223...

Comment

I’ve had the best performance out of the serria game king and the federal blue box soft points in 55 grain. They shoot really well out of my guns and get a good combo of expansion and penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

75gr hornady black bthp

Comment

That 68 or 75 gr BTHP Frontier will do very well. I’ve got a few truck bed loads of dead animals that wil testify. Sometimes a truckload plus per night.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                          75gr hornady black bthp
                          +1 same pill as the Frontier.

Comment

Following

Comment

I use the IMI with the Sierra 77 grain matching, never had a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X