Savage 12FV vs. Rem 700 ADL Varmint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage 12FV vs. Rem 700 ADL Varmint

Any of yall have an opinion on either of these in 22-250? price point is about the same after the rem rebate

Personally I think it's a no brainer to run the savage. Remington 700's are not the same gun as what they use to be. There is a lot of aftermarket parts for the 700, but out of the box that savage will out shoot it.

My savage rifles have been way more accurate than any of the new 700's I've bought. I don't even own a 700 anymore. The accu trigger is light years ahead of that Xmark trigger on the 700.

Comment

I have no experience with savage, but have heard great things, i am leaning that way for sure

Comment

My dads got the 12FV. Out of the box it’s a shooter with reloading it’ll shoot as good as any custom gun. I’m a savage guy but I will say I do like the old Remington 700’s but the new ones aren’t anywhere near what they once used to be.

Comment

I’ve got a 12fv in 308 and I only bought it as a base for a custom build... until I shot it. I don’t like .308 to much and I’ve decided it to do anything but change the stock. Gun shoots consistent 5 shot .75” groups with hand loads.

Holds true out to 750-800 yards. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0810.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	24583482

Shot this doe at 258 yards in the head/neck last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 2 newer Remington ADL Varmints. One in 243 and other in 308. They both shoot 1/2"-3/4" moa with factory hornady ammo.
            The 243 will stack 5 shot groups at 1/2" pretty easy with 95gr.

Comment

X2 fishman

The comments about Remington going downhill are completely false. I have 2 of these, one in 22-250 and one in 308. Both will stack 1/4"-1/2" groups out to 250 yards with factory ammo. I'm sure they perform well out at distance also, I just haven't shot either one past 250. Both rifles are less than 3 years old, and I bought the 308 from Cabela's on a rebate deal just like this one.

I will add that the factory trigger is not ideal. I put a Timney in both rifles. I prefer it over either company's stock trigger anyway.

The Savage is a great rifle also. I just know that Remingtons are still what they were.

Comment

I’ve got a saying for savage rifles.

They are like fat girls. They put out good but you don’t brag to your friends about them. LOL. Might get me in trouble here but it’s true. They are ugly. Way too many parts in the bolt. Very ugly. Trigger is awful and they are ugly. But most, not all of them shoot well.

Remington isn’t what it used to be. That’s a fact. Hence why so many people aren’t building on their actions anymore. By the time a smith fixes what shouldn’t need to be fixed, you can buy a custom action. Are there some that shoot good? Absolutely. And aftermarket parts are cheap and in stock everywhere. And resale on a Remington is much better.

I’d take a Remington over a savage any day. But I think you’re making a mistake not looking at any other brands. In all reality I know folks love to get a cheap gun. But what’s another $100? A couple meals out each month? Save longer and buy right. Euro optic has Mauser rifles down as low as $469 that’ll blow those 2 guns out of the water. Tikka is very near that range too. And nothing wrong with buying used.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                  X2 fishman

The comments about Remington going downhill are completely false. I have 2 of these, one in 22-250 and one in 308. Both will stack 1/4"-1/2" groups out to 250 yards with factory ammo. I'm sure they perform well out at distance also, I just haven't shot either one past 250. Both rifles are less than 3 years old, and I bought the 308 from Cabela's on a rebate deal just like this one.

I will add that the factory trigger is not ideal. I put a Timney in both rifles. I prefer it over either company's stock trigger anyway.

The Savage is a great rifle also. I just know that Remingtons are still what they were.
                  That’s insane accuracy even for a custom rig!! Good shooting. Any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                    X2 fishman

They are not false. You may have different experiences, and that's great, but it sure hasn't been my experience. There is a lot of people that agree with me on this issue.

In all honesty I prefer my Tikka over my other factory rifles. Throw a bell and Carlson on a Tikka and it will be everything you could ever want in a hunting rifle.
                    Last edited by Arrowthreat; 06-20-2019, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                      They are not false. You may have different experiences, and that's great, but it sure hasn't been my experience. There is a lot of people that agree with me on this issue.

In all honesty I prefer my Tikka over my other factory rifles. Throw a bell and Carlson on a Tikka and it will be everything you could ever want in a hunting rifle.
                      IMO - That's the better way to go. Tikka then Savage. No Remmy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Remington

Comment

I used to be a Rem 700 guy until I bought my first Savage. My 12fv is a one holer out of the box with factory ammo. I haven't even reloaded for it yet and its that good.. Yes the stock isn't the best but the trigger is adjustable and feels good. Remington has gone down some and the last 308 700 I bought the rifling was screwed up. If you want a shooter out of the box get the Savage.

Comment

I have the Remington in .308 I change the stock to a HS precision and to a removable mag this is a 100 yard groupClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0975~3.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	24583524

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2019-06-20-11-55-32.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24583525

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post

This ^. Tikka > Savage > Remington

Comment

Working...
                              X