No announcement yet.

Early Settlers and Indian Fighters of Southwest Texas By Andrew Jackson Sowell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Settlers and Indian Fighters of Southwest Texas By Andrew Jackson Sowell

Very interesting, free online book about the early frontier days in Texas.

This edition is abridged and annotated with updated information.A judge from Prussia. A French Texas Ranger. Emigrants from all over the U.S.Their names and stories are mostly now forgotten but were recorded in this 1900 volume by Andrew Jackson Sowell. They were mostly young, hardy, and looking for new opportunities in land they felt was wide open but, in fact, was inhabited by Native Americans. The lives of these early pioneers is part of the history of the American West.The original bound edition of this book ran over 1100 pages and most of that content is here. It's the story of an incredibly violent and adventurous time that was lived by the people whose stories you find here. Sowell talked to them all and created one of the most interesting collections of personal histories of the wild West.

The Adventures of Big-Foot Wallace, the Texas Ranger and Hunter By John Duval

Here's another free online book about Bigfoot Wallace. Great read if you're interested in Texas history.

Comment

If you like reading those you should get the complete 352 issues of Hunter's Frontier Times on flash drive. My brother has collected the old magazines for years and has over 100 of them...great stories and many historical accounts written by those who experienced them.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
        If you like reading those you should get the complete 352 issues of Hunter's Frontier Times on flash drive. My brother has collected the old magazines for years and has over 100 of them...great stories and many historical accounts written by those who experienced them.

https://www.frontiertimesmagazine.com/
        I'll try to find it. Thanks

Comment

Awesome find, thanks

Comment

Tagged, thanks!

Comment

Tagged....……..
              Thanks Froggy...…….

Comment

I'm in too, love early Texas history.

Comment

The frontier days of Texas always fascinated me. A lot of people don’t realize that the Comanches actually gained a lot of their territory back from the early settlers during the 1840s. They were fierce fighters and if possible would kill the settlers in a brutal fashion, and rarely left survivors.

Comment

Tagged. Love Texas history

Comment

bump...….….
                      I ain't thru reading yet...…….

Comment

I'm a frontier history freak... I've read dozens of them, I am reading some native american history currently, and Bigfoot Wallace was great!

Comment

another good one about settling the Frio Canyon area. At least the first 1/3 of the book and the last part of the book when John Leakey returns to Texas. I have a copy of it around somewhere at my house. It is really worth the time to read

Comment

Were these early settlers friends of yours Froggy?? Y'all go to the same school and share a primer to read out of??

Comment

I posted this a few years back, a letter from one of my family members. https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=301511

Comment

Working...
                              X