Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blatallic View Post
    where do you usually get the seeds?
    I buy a blend from my local feedstore. Some seed companies will take orders for specific blends. Whatever you can imagine.

Comment

Is it too late to do a summer plot? If not what would be the best seed to throw?

Comment

Originally posted by SnJGuin View Post
        Is it too late to do a summer plot? If not what would be the best seed to throw?
        I don’t think so. It’s probably past optimum time, but if you plant now, you’ll have the rest of the month, July, and August for it to grow which is plenty of time depending on rain/moisture. You can look at some of my pictures through the thread and see my plots progression over a short amount of time.

I’ve got one low spot that’s held too much moisture and the seeds didn’t take so I’m actually going out this weekend and replanting it. Don’t really “need” it there, but no more seed than it’s going to take, I’m going to anyway.

In my mix I’ve got cowpeas, soy bean, lab lab, sorghum, Sunflower, and okra.

Hancocks Seed online is where I’ve been buying mine. They’ve got several good mixes and then single bags of other seed you can throw in the mix as well if you wanted.

Comment

Planning for Fall Question

So Im starting to plan for the Fall fields and have a question.

My PowerPlant and Turner Spring mix fields are growing really well, almost 5 ft tall now. These will die off on the first frost. The thing is, first frost isn’t until late November in the Lufkin area. I can leave these fields as is if I wanted.

In my wide pine rows, I plan to mow, till, and plant Whitetail Institute No-Plow. Already purchased.

The question is with the fields, would you guys leave them or replant them with a winter plot?

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
            Planning for Fall Question

So Im starting to plan for the Fall fields and have a question.

My PowerPlant and Turner Spring mix fields are growing really well, almost 5 ft tall now. These will die off on the first frost. The thing is, first frost isn’t until late November in the Lufkin area. I can leave these fields as is if I wanted.

In my wide pine rows, I plan to mow, till, and plant Whitetail Institute No-Plow. Already purchased.

The question is with the fields, would you guys leave them or replant them with a winter plot?
            How much area do you have planted with Power Plant ? What's in the Spring Mix and how much area ?

Comment

Powerplant and Turner Spring mix close to the same blend. The fields are about 1/4 acre each (over seeded though, if that matters).

The pine rows are also planted in both, but are not growing as well because they are not getting the same amount of sun. They are still doing well though.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
                Powerplant and Turner Spring mix close to the same blend. The fields are about 1/4 acre each (over seeded though, if that matters).

The pine rows are also planted in both, but are not growing as well because they are not getting the same amount of sun. They are still doing well though.
                The only spring plots I've ever left were soybeans when they actually had beans. It was a good draw until after deer season. I planted Power Plant two years running but the hogs destroyed it. That was when it still had sorghum in it. They replaced the sorghum with sunn hemp a couple years ago so if I wanted to keep it, I might keep one plot and terminate the other and plant it to wheat, elbon rye, or a mix of both. Experimentation is good, as long as you have a standby that's proven.

I don't know how bad hogs are where you are, but when the beans begin to yellow, you can broadcast cereal grains into it and they will germinate as long as the hogs or birds don't get them. If you try that, plant heavy, as some of them will get eaten or just won't germinate. Guys that don't have hogs do that all the time, unfortunately I can't because I got pork out the wazoo !

Comment

I had nothing but pictures of hogs before I pinned in my feeders. Literally went one month with no pictures of deer and all pigs.

Since pinning in the feeders ive seen nothing but deer (not at the feeders but in the fields). 7 game cameras out and no pictures of pigs in three weeks. Hope they keep leaving the fields along.

Comment

One place I hunt is in Trinity Co. and I had the same problem. Up to that time I had never penned a feeder except to keep cows out. I kept seeing threads on here about penning feeders so I penned mine. It made a world of difference ! Instead of hogs laying around sunbathing, sometimes 20/25 at a time, all the hogs would come through and get what few kernels threw outside and move on. The deer acclimated to the pens in about three days, so I immediately penned the feeders on my own place. Took the deer about a week there and hog traffic was just like in Trinity Co. They just did a drive-by. When deer season is over and we start night hunting hogs, we just pour some corn on the ground where we can hunt it on a couple different winds and kill them there. It's better because we can pour a line and sometimes get a twofer if they line up right.

Comment

Also in Trinity County (Apple Springs).

I made my pens 70’ in diameter so no corn goes out. I would prefer it if there were no pigs on the property and got quotes to put field fence on top of my barbed wite. Decided not to go that route yet. I am debating on two strands of electric fence around my property though.

Comment

I'm just a few miles down the road from you. I hunt on Brushy Creek a few times a year, but it's too far for me to drive to hunt it much. When I go, I usually hunt three days during the week. I see more deer that way. When the quads and UTVs start rumbling in the mornings I see fewer deer. Wednesday through Friday is usually my thing. I've not shot a buck there in three years, but I've let a bunch walk that I would have killed at home before a goat can fart ! Down there, it's a jawdropper or nothing for me. I did let one crap on me year before last, but that's another story......

Comment

I got a few small plots done this weekend right before the rain came. So i"m hoping the timing was right. We'll see in a few weeks the results.

Comment

I pulled the card on the camera this morning. Planted this IC pea plot the 30th of May. It ain't gonna last long at this rate, but they'll enjoy it while it's there. The good news is, we'll have three times as much area planted to peas next year.
                            Attached Files

Comment

This ones doing great. And getting HAMMERED!

Sunflowers went untouched till this week. They had buds... then all gone. Peas are keeping up so far. Millet was a test. Wish I would have backed off some
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                This ones doing great. And getting HAMMERED!

Sunflowers went untouched till this week. They had buds... then all gone. Peas are keeping up so far. Millet was a test. Wish I would have backed off some
                                They are eating mine pretty hard this year. We planted the same plots in '17 and the peas lasted through July and into August, last year it was too dry and they failed, this year the deer know what peas are.........
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X