Greek dolmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek dolmas

So we recently picked grape leaves to let some sun kn the grapes,and one of the few dishes I can get my part Greek wife to make is dolmas.

Get either a jar of grape leaves or in our case fresh leaves. If using fresh leaves, they need blanched then dried.

In a big bowl,mix ground beef or lamb, a bit of lemon juice, dillweed and oregano (we used fresh from our herb garden) salt and pepper to taste. Mix in about a half bag of rice (dont cook it yet) and about 3 tbsp olive oil. My wife also likes to add raisins. Mix it all up.
    Get a steamer ready like your use for tamales. If you dont have one, just use a big pot and try not to burn them and add a little more water at the bottom. Then add a layer of leaves to where the rolls will stack. We add some lemon juice to the water as well.

Now slowly one leaf at a time add about a spoonful of the mixture to the bottom middle of the leaf. Tuck in the ends and then slowly roll it tight but dont rip the leaf. Save some leaves for a layer on top.
    After layering the rolls in the steamer and topping with a layer of leaves,steam on roughly medium low or medium for 1.5 hours.
    Then let them cool and enjoy. My son and I will clear them out pretty quick.

Forgot to add, you can make meatballs with any leftover meat mixture.

love dolmas! theres a decent greek place in plano that does them really well!

Comment

never thought a buncha rednecks would like Dolmas!

By the way, Dolmas are not Greek, they're Middle Eastern (mostly Arab countries)

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
        never thought a buncha rednecks would like Dolmas!

By the way, Dolmas are not Greek, they're Middle Eastern (mostly Arab countries)
        Just dont tell any of wife's Greek relatives. Aside from her dad, they really do hate them lol.

Comment

My wife is half Lebanese, her sister makes really good stuffed grape leaves. My wife makes the meat pies and she makes the stuffed grape leaves for the holidays.

Comment

Been eating and making Dolmas, Hummus, Kefta, Tabuli, etc..... all my life the best and healthiest food on earth.
            I can take a bath in Olive Oil, absolutely love it, it's in my blood...

Comment

Working...
            X