Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
    They still don't require you to be a teacher, that is a choice you make yourself
    As long as you admit you were wrong

Comment

in response to the OP.....No way. Property taxes are already theft.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        As long as you admit you were wrong
        How was i wrong? Since when has the state mandated that any person be a teacher?

You said no one was mandated to be a nurse and i said no one was mandated to be a teacher, both true statements

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
          in response to the OP.....No way. Property taxes are already theft.
          See post #130.

Comment

How was i wrong? Since when has the state mandated that any person be a teacher?

You said no one was mandated to be a nurse and i said no one was mandated to be a teacher, both true statements
            Move along bud. I never said anyone was mandated to be a nurse or a teacher. I said 'nursing' wasn't mandated by the state. 'Teaching' is mandated by the state. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Comment

Move along bud. I never said anyone was mandated to be a nurse or a teacher. I said 'nursing' wasn't mandated by the state. 'Teaching' is mandated by the state. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!
              Merriam Webster definition : Mandate: to officially require something or make something mandatory; also to direct/require someone to do something

There might be more than one definition to mandate. And if you think the state doesn't mandate nursing you might be wrong.

And teachers still knew what they were getting into when they started teaching,so the get what they are worth. Well, that along with the abundance of teachers available, keeps prices for teachers down.

I guess answer me this, why is your poor career choice my problem?

Comment

Merriam Webster definition : Mandate: to officially require something or make something mandatory; also to direct/require someone to do something

There might be more than one definition to mandate. And if you think the state doesn't mandate nursing you might be wrong.

And teachers still knew what they were getting into when they started teaching,so the get what they are worth. Well, that along with the abundance of teachers available, keeps prices for teachers down.

When I was hired the first time to teach and coach in 1975, we knew the pay scale, but not anything else until we signed the papers and were told about insurance or lack there of.
                When I got back into the business of being a TA in 2012, we did not know about the insurance until teachers had to report and the same when I went from a TA to full fledged teacher in an elementary setting in 2015.

I am too old to change careers, 66 in May and will retire in May of 2020, but when you say there is a surplus of teachers, you might want to research what you say. Some areas may have a surplus, but many do not. I looked at an area before school started and they were short 100 teachers throughout their system. I think I and many others in the teaching field deserve a pay raise and I agree with getting rid of the waste, but Central offices and the TEA are rift with waste and just like government, you will not get rid of it.

Our school systems are broke period and until they reintroduce corporal punishment and decent pay for teachers, the good ones leave and the bad ones take over if there are any to take over.

Show me a career where a person can get punched in the face by a person/student and not be able to do anything about it. Teaching comes to mind. Been bloodied too many times to remember in this profession!

Comment

I'm not a teacher, nor in the education profession. You are missing the point also. They DON'T know what they are getting into as it has changed. There is not an abundance of teachers available as they are hiring 'emergency certified' teachers at a high rate over the last decade in order to satisfy the 'need'. This is another contributing factor as to why the compensation is low.

That's like everyone saying 'I wish I was President', lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    When I was hired the first time to teach and coach in 1975, we knew the pay scale, but not anything else until we signed the papers and were told about insurance or lack there of.
                    When I got back into the business of being a TA in 2012, we did not know about the insurance until teachers had to report and the same when I went from a TA to full fledged teacher in an elementary setting in 2015.

I am too old to change careers, 66 in May and will retire in May of 2020, but when you say there is a surplus of teachers, you might want to research what you say. Some areas may have a surplus, but many do not. I looked at an area before school started and they were short 100 teachers throughout their system. I think I and many others in the teaching field deserve a pay raise and I agree with getting rid of the waste, but Central offices and the TEA are rift with waste and just like government, you will not get rid of it.

Our school systems are broke period and until they reintroduce corporal punishment and decent pay for teachers, the good ones leave and the bad ones take over if there are any to take over.

Show me a career where a person can get punched in the face by a person/student and not be able to do anything about it. Teaching comes to mind. Been bloodied too many times to remember in this profession!
                    Yep. Save your time and effort.

Comment

You're buying some bad intel if you believe there is an abundance of teachers.

Comment

Are teachers not required to student teach anymore? Honest question, IDK. But if so they should have an idea of what is going on.

Also, anyone who takes a job without knowing all the details of pay, benefits, etc., kinda deserves what they get.

If the school system is broke, and i believe it is, why should the tax payer ever consider paying more? Seems foolish, to pay more into a broken system. Fix the brokenness and then ask for more money if it is needed.

That is a reply to 2 people :-)

Comment

I guess an abundance of teachers was a bad way of putting, maybe an abundance of people certified to teach would be better. Also they probably aren't teaching because of the broken system. I have known several people who went to college to be a teacher and then do something completely different

Comment

Are teachers not required to student teach anymore? Honest question, IDK. But if so they should have an idea of what is going on.

Also, anyone who takes a job without knowing all the details of pay, benefits, etc., kinda deserves what they get.

If the school system is broke, and i believe it is, why should the tax payer ever consider paying more? Seems foolish, to pay more into a broken system. Fix the brokenness and then ask for more money if it is needed.

That is a reply to 2 people :-)
                            Do you pay income tax?

Is a job ever better than advertised?

You must be a salesman

Comment

Student teachers here at Tech work with teachers the full year they are in school at Tech, but not sure if anything is told about anything above pay such as insurance unless that comes from the teacher they are under.

Agreed on the broken system and not paying any more into it, but do you have a better solution?

Just a question to you, will you get a pay raise next year or not and will it be more than the $200 I will get which will be spent on student needs like mine will?

Comment

Do you pay income tax?

Is a job ever better than advertised?

You must be a salesman
                                Yes

Rarely, but you should know what is expected of you and what to expect of an employer before taking a job

And I would be the worlds worst salesman, it would go like this, "there are some widgets, if you want them buy them, if not I don't really care"

Comment

Working...
                                X