Hunting the mighty Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting the mighty Buffalo

Just got back from a Buffalo hunt in New Mexico.

Had a fun time and got to see some great country, and got to spend some time among these amazing beasts, they truly are the quintessential American animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Now tell the tale of the hunt.

Comment

This big boy hung out way up in the mountains

Comment

Way to go!

Congrats!

Bison eat good too!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I really enjoyed chasing mine a few years ago. Massive on the hoof and bigger when u walk up to a dead one.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
            Very nice! Now tell the tale of the hunt.
            It was a good time. Hunted an extremely large ranch for free range buffalo, but by nature they are not very wary. Locating them takes the most time.

That said, they still have a tolerance threshold and they won’t let you walk right up to them, we followed one herd for well over a mile and never got a clean shot.

Found another herd and sorta sat in the middle of them until this bull moved in to check us out, he turned broadside and in the clear at 22 yards and I sent an arrow behind the shoulder, he took a few steps and I sent another one. He was on his feet for another minute or two and that’s when the rodeo started. As soon as he went down half the herd started to dog pile on him, goring him and stomping him…..we had to bring the truck in to circle him to get them off. Very strange to see animals do that.

Then the work started….you really can’t manhandle these animals even with 4 guys. Gutted him then used a sled and a series of come alongs to get him into the truck.

Both shots were complete pass thrus…..used a 433 grain arrow with a 100 grain kudu point at 280 fps. Hope this will serve as a lesson to all the RanchFairy fanboys that you don’t need a carbon log with a shovel spade up front to cleanly kill the largest land animal that walks the continent.

Comment

Comment

Looks like a great time. Congrats on the trophy and thanks for showing.

Comment

Impressive hunt
                  On my bucket list with a 45-70

Comment

Great hunt and a ton of good eating. Congratulations

Comment

Congratulations! Great meat for the next couple of years!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                        It was a good time. Hunted an extremely large ranch for free range buffalo, but by nature they are not very wary. Locating them takes the most time.

That said, they still have a tolerance threshold and they won’t let you walk right up to them, we followed one herd for well over a mile and never got a clean shot.

Found another herd and sorta sat in the middle of them until this bull moved in to check us out, he turned broadside and in the clear at 22 yards and I sent an arrow behind the shoulder, he took a few steps and I sent another one. He was on his feet for another minute or two and that’s when the rodeo started. As soon as he went down half the herd started to dog pile on him, goring him and stomping him…..we had to bring the truck in to circle him to get them off. Very strange to see animals do that.

Then the work started….you really can’t manhandle these animals even with 4 guys. Gutted him then used a sled and a series of come alongs to get him into the truck.

Both shots were complete pass thrus…..used a 433 grain arrow with a 100 grain kudu point at 280 fps. Hope this will serve as a lesson to all the RanchFairy fanboys that you don’t need a carbon log with a shovel spade up front to cleanly kill the largest land animal that walks the continent.
                        Congratulations again, but why spoil your wonderful story with a bash towards Troy or anyone else shooting more than 440grains. Wow..[emoji848]..anyway.....continued success and enjoy the ride.[emoji1018]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

This is awesome! It's like going back in time. Definitely on my bucket list. Keep us posted on how it eats. I've had a buffalo ribeye and some buffalo jerky. Was impressed both times.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                            Impressive hunt
                            On my bucket list with a 45-70

That would be awesome
                            Really awesome!!!! Talk about a traditional hunt

I’ve put 2 in the freezer over the years…… makes a fellow turn up his nose at venison
                            [emoji2957][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                              That would be awesome
                              Really awesome!!!! Talk about a traditional hunt

I’ve put 2 in the freezer over the years…… makes a fellow turn up his nose at venison
                              [emoji2957][emoji23][emoji23]

I have one in the freezer right now, and while it’s pretty dang good, I won’t turn my nose up at venison!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X