John Deer 65 HP starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Deer 65 HP starting issue

I need some help. I have a 2011 JD 5065E that stopped starting. When you engage the key it only clicks but sounds like it is clicking inside the dash area and not from the solenoid. I replaced the battery, cables, cleaned the ground connections. It has 14.5 bolts at the starter but will not start. Any suggestions? Starter relay? Starter? What else could it be?

Thank you.

Doug

Where are reading the voltage at the starter? Is the solenoid mounted on the starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a safety switch under the seat that may need cleaning or it's not engaging.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the ground connected to the engine block?

Comment

Starter issue. Ours has been through a few now they are junk.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
            Where are reading the voltage at the starter? Is the solenoid mounted on the starter?

I tested the voltage at the cable connection from the battery. I have an extra starter that I plan to test and install but will check the seat safety switch just to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Is the ground connected to the engine block?
              The ground from the battery is connected to the battery plate which is connected to the frame. I cleaned the connection bolts all around.

Comment

I have a 1020 I had problems with . Finally found it was the key switch
                was wore out . It was a cheap fix

Comment

Is your PTO off??

Comment

I had this same thing happen to me on my zero turn. It turned out that the contacts within the ignition switch were dirty. I took the ignition switch apart and cleaned all the contact with a wire brush.

It may be worth looking into.

Comment

This is a common problem with that series of tractors. Go to Ebay and order a new starter solenoid. Its a 12 volt 3 terminal solenoid, around 30 dollars. Same thing was happening with my 5075.

Comment

A buddy has the same tractor,he has been thru several starters and a couple solenoids

Comment

Yep, mine did the same thing... a new starter and I was good as new... As a matter of fact better than new...From day one my tractor never spun like it does now...

Comment

To the OP
                            If you confirm that it is the starter you might check to see if you have a local rebuild shop. Around here it’s about 1/4 of the cost and you get a better starter in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
                              The ground from the battery is connected to the battery plate which is connected to the frame. I cleaned the connection bolts all around.
                              I had a JD that had the swing out battery tray like that. I got a new cable and ran the ground to the engine block. Solved the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X