Ideas to keep deer out of the turkey feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas to keep deer out of the turkey feeder

So, i've got a turkey feeder pretty close to the deer feeder. It's been there for over a year but the last 2-3 months the deer finally figured it out. They have been hammering my wild bird seed at $18/50lb bag!!. I don't really want to elevate it because the turkey might stop using the feeder. It took forever for the turkey to even start eating out of the feeder.

Any ideas? I was thinking about raising some fence panels a couple feet off the ground in a ring around the feeder. Just to make it awkward/uncomfortable for them to try to eat out of the feeder but im not sure that would actually do anything.
    Attached Files

Only thing I can think to do is make the feed holes smaller. In theory the turkey could still eat out of the feeder with their beaks but the deer would have a harder time getting their tongue through.

Comment

My experience is that turkey don't like being in small, enclosed places so not sure about the ring idea. How about just trying to feed straight milo out of it. The bird mix has stuff der want to eat. Altho they will eat milo I suppose maybe not as attractive and it should be cheaper per #50 I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
        My experience is that turkey don't like being in small, enclosed places so not sure about the ring idea. How about just trying to feed straight milo out of it. The bird mix has stuff der want to eat. Altho they will eat milo I suppose maybe not as attractive and it should be cheaper per #50 I believe.
        We always used peas and milo in our turkey/quail feeders.

Comment

Mix milo to corn feeder, both will eat together and turkeys love corn.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post

I have corn and hen scratch in my tripod feeders. Working well

Or build a platform feeder.
            Last edited by Big pig; 07-07-2022, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Put it on top of a large wooden wire spool. Turkeys will use it and the over hang keeps other critters from being able to get to the feed. I have had mine on one so long I had to replace the spool because it eventually rotted out. When I replaced it I set it on flat pavers to help from rotting.

Comment

Turkey specific feeders like this need to be on a elevated platform if you want to keep the deer out

Comment

Clear off that big limb on the live oak behind it and wire it too it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tboned View Post
                    Put it on top of a large wooden wire spool. Turkeys will use it and the over hang keeps other critters from being able to get to the feed. I have had mine on one so long I had to replace the spool because it eventually rotted out. When I replaced it I set it on flat pavers to help from rotting.
                    This seems like a good idea. I think the turkeys would just hop right up there...

Comment

Sounds like I'm gonna have to end up elevating it.

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                      I'm on a wildlife exemption for it can't be on a timed feeder. Gotta be free choice.

Comment

Platform above spin feeder, set it on top and done!

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post

I'm on a wildlife exemption for it can't be on a timed feeder. Gotta be free choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post

There is a ranch I used to frequent that had multiple elevated turkey feeders. For the longest time I just assumed it was to keep deer and hogs from messing with the feed. When I asked as to the purpose for elevating the feeders, I was told that the main reason for elevated platforms was to provide a safe place for turkeys to feed. The rancher believed predators would use the feeder as an easy place to feed on turkeys should they be on the ground.

Their set up was a simple wooden platform sitting on an approximately eight foot tall pipe. For additional support, the platform corners were braced to the pipe.
                          Last edited by Pedernal; 07-11-2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Put a no deer allowed sign up.

Comment

Working...
                            X