6.5 creed vs. 6.5 prc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 creed vs. 6.5 prc

I own 3 6.5 Creeds, but have recently ordered a Christensen Arms in 6.5 PRC.
    I guess what I'm looking for is feedback form Creed owners that have switched to the PRC. Is there that much of a noticeable difference in performance in a hunting situation ( I don't shoot steel )

Pretty good difference. I'm not a huge 6.5 Creed fan, as it's lacking in the speed category IMO, but the PRC fills that gap. ~300 fps makes a pretty big difference. 6.5 PRC is a super capable cartridge.

Comment

Look at ballistic charts to compare the two. They will tell you all you need to know. Down range ft/lbs is where the prc is going to shine. The PRC is what the creedmore wants to be when it grows up. I have one from CA as well and it is a hammer.

Comment

I have a feeling there will be 3 Creedmoors in the classifieds soon…. Lol

Comment

Same bullets going faster, probably doesn't matter at 100/200 yards but probably considerable difference at 400+

Comment

Always liked the 270 over both

Comment

I will take the opposing here. While I would probably buy the prc over the CM new, I would probably not give up a good CM to replace it with a prc for huntimg. Both will deliver a 143 eldx to 500 yards at greater than 2000fps velocity. PRC has 10% or less velocity advantage with a minimum of 20% recoil penalty.

Comment

what factory ammo availability/options look like for the PRC these days?

Comment

The PRC will give you more range with bullets that need some velocity to expand like Nosler E Tips, Hornady GMX, and Barnes TTSX. Other than that, I'm not sure what it does for you that the Creedmoor doesn't.

LWD

Comment

On game at normal ranges little to no difference as far as killing the animal with a good shot. At longer ranges the PRC is flatter and starts to have a good advantage and can carry energy longer giving you further yards if you are able to shoot longer distances. So its better by ballistics. its minus is less barrel life, but for hunting thats not a big thing.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why own 3 creeds if you don’t target shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a lot of real world experience with a 308 so that is what I compared to when I was shopping for a new caliber. I looked at nothing but ballistics. Nothing stood out too much to me until I found the prc. I was shooting 168s out of the 308. From what I remember, the prc with a 143 grain has 400 ft/lbs more energy at 400 than the the 168 from the 308. I could be misremembering. I have taken an oryx, a nilgai, and a pile of pigs with the prc. Everything dropped in 5 yards or less except for one gut shot pig that made it about 50 yards. I am a big fan of a frontal shot.

In regards to increased recoil, the prc is very mild to the point of not noticing it in a 8 lb total rifle. It does have a factory radial brake. The case is very similar to a .243/.308. I'd say recoil is right between those due to bullet weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Out of curiosity, why own 3 creeds if you don’t target shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Well I bought one, then my wife liked it so much I bought another one for her, then a buddy was in a financial bind so to help him out I bought one from him. I figured the Grandkids will be confiscating a couple of them pretty quick

Comment

I betcha no deer will ever know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                              Always liked the 270 over both
                              Yep. Was looking at charts the other day and the 270/6.5prc are awfully similar (like, identical).

Comment

Working...
                              X