Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-28-2022, 07:07 AM   #551
TexasBob
Pope & Young

2 mph from a cat 5, not that it matters other than stats. Sustained F2-F3 tornado wherever the eye comes ashore, plus the gusts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:27 AM   #552
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: HF4L

Prayers up for Florida!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:04 AM   #553
91cavgt
Ten Point

Prayers up for those in the path of this beast, and for the workers who are coming to help restore utilities.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #554
C-dubyah
Eight Point

Prayers up for sure. I heard a report that there are a lot of older citizens that decided to ride the storm out. Call it what you want but this is a Cat 5 and it's going to be devastating. Even if you survive the flooding, the storm surge, the winds, you will still be without water and power for weeks. The roads will probably be washed out or blocked with debris so you can't leave. Why would you want to put yourself through that? I hope the report is wrong.
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #555
CrownKiller14
Four Point

Looks like they're getting some of the outter bands of wind.

https://www.windfinder.com/#9/27.1533/-82.5403
CrownKiller14 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #556
Blackmouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
Looks like they're getting some of the outter bands of wind.

https://www.windfinder.com/#9/27.1533/-82.5403
That website is pretty interesting. Crazy how much of an area the storm affects and pulls the wind from.
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 10:11 AM   #557
BayouCat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf Coast

Earth cam in Naples.

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida...cam=naplespier
BayouCat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #558
CrownKiller14
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmouth View Post
That website is pretty interesting. Crazy how much of an area the storm affects and pulls the wind from.
I've road out a couple and its amazing/ scary how you can have 75+ mph winds from several different directions in one night.

I love windfinder they have an app also.

It helps and idiot like myself pick the correct stand..

Last edited by CrownKiller14; 09-28-2022 at 10:26 AM.
CrownKiller14 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #559
tbgascorer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County & Maverick County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouCat View Post
That pier will not be there tomorrow. Will be interesting to watch the progression. Get the kids off that pier!
tbgascorer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #560
powderburner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

Work friend is 80miles north of the projected land fall. I told him good luck and I would be praying. CAT3 or higher and I am packing up and heading out. No reason to stay and hope.
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:11 AM   #561
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dubyah View Post
Prayers up for sure. I heard a report that there are a lot of older citizens that decided to ride the storm out. Call it what you want but this is a Cat 5 and it's going to be devastating. Even if you survive the flooding, the storm surge, the winds, you will still be without water and power for weeks. The roads will probably be washed out or blocked with debris so you can't leave. Why would you want to put yourself through that? I hope the report is wrong.
Yea for Laura my mom was looking for all kinds of excuses to stay. I said Mom there is going to be no power for weeks and its gonna be hot as hades. You're leaving and ur not comin back until your house has power. That took over 3 weeks btw

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Duckologist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #562
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Llano and South Texas

Quote:
NHC gets a B for track prediction but an F for strength predicted. They were saying all along it would interact with dry air and make landfall as a cat 1.
Hurricane hunters were looking at it saying theyíve never a storm get in the gulf this time of year and weaken that much.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #563
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmouth View Post

From MyRadar appÖ.

It is video but I canít load video on tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #564
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Just found out my aunt and some friends were in Naples and almost left but with the earlier track suggesting more of a north of tampa/panhandle landfall they decided to stay put. Not going to be a fun ride for them and hoping they make it through.

This thing is a monster and I didn't understand the weakening projections earlier this week.
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:28 AM   #565
Txsurveyor2014
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma and Angelina County

Quote:
My brother-in-law's elderly dad and some of his friends decided to ride it out. They live in Venice, florida. It is going to be really bad there, so prayers would be appreciated.
Txsurveyor2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:33 AM   #566
Duckologist
Ten Point

Those that decided to ride it out and survive will tell you never again after this over.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:35 AM   #567
louieagarcia
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Prayers for Florida and Sanibel Island. We love vacationing there and they are getting hit pretty hard
louieagarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:45 AM   #568
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Just found out my aunt and some friends were in Naples and almost left but with the earlier track suggesting more of a north of tampa/panhandle landfall they decided to stay put. Not going to be a fun ride for them and hoping they make it through.

This thing is a monster and I didn't understand the weakening projections earlier this week.
I talked to a friend who lives in Naples a couple days ago and he also said he was going to stay put based on that earlier projected track. Can't reach him now - I hope he changed his mind and got out
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:49 AM   #569
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgascorer View Post
That pier will not be there tomorrow. Will be interesting to watch the progression. Get the kids off that pier!
I think I just saw some pieces break off already and going into the water to the right
Attached Images

Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:51 PM   #570
C-dubyah
Eight Point

I did a run on the GFS Model and it shows that this thing kicks back out into the Atlantic and redevelops into another hurricane about 10 days from now. 10 days is a long way out but that is what it shows.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:04 PM   #571
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
I did a run on the GFS Model and it shows that this thing kicks back out into the Atlantic and redevelops into another hurricane about 10 days from now. 10 days is a long way out but that is what it shows.

Weather Channel reported it would have a 2nd landfall on east coast but not 10 days out
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #572
Chapo
Eight Point

It’s scary to think that just east of Tampa is one of the largest retirement communities in the US and a rather large portion of that retirement community area is mobile homes
Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #573
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

I've got a buddy in sarasota riding it out for some reason. Haven't heard from him since last night.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:33 PM   #574
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Old 09-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #575
johnpaul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle

I work for a big bee keeping operation and one of our locations is in Punta Gorda, FL. 20,000~ hives over there. I'm afraid they are going to have quite the mess on their hands after this one.
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:49 PM   #576
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapo View Post
Itís scary to think that just east of Tampa is one of the largest retirement communities in the US and a rather large portion of that retirement community area is mobile homes
A friend lives east of Sarasota. I'd hazard a guess that half of them are snowbirds based on what she has told me, down to FL in wintertime, up to the north in the summer.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #577
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
I work for a big bee keeping operation and one of our locations is in Punta Gorda, FL. 20,000~ hives over there. I'm afraid they are going to have quite the mess on their hands after this one.
Thatís a nice area. My recently deceased FIL lived there. His wife still does. She is staying. That area looks to be fixing to take some serious beatings.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 02:11 PM   #578
ccallarman
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

I have always wondered people's reasoning for staying behind when you're about to get hit head-on by major winds/storm surge. Not trying to be rude but can somebody explain maybe why people would make that decision?

The house I live in nor any single item I posses is worth risking my life over. Take what I can/need with me and get away has always been my mindset
ccallarman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 02:22 PM   #579
Walker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallarman View Post
I have always wondered people's reasoning for staying behind when you're about to get hit head-on by major winds/storm surge. Not trying to be rude but can somebody explain maybe why people would make that decision?

The house I live in nor any single item I posses is worth risking my life over. Take what I can/need with me and get away has always been my mindset
No l9gical reason whet so ever. You're just one more person that emergency crews have to worry about. And if you do survive then what?? No electricity and running water for days, maybe even weeks.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #580
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:

Never have, but there was a time I probably would have. A feeling of the unknown being the worst part, plus thinking you could do something to mitigate problems, plus preventing looting after the fact and being scared of being denied re-entry would top the list. Worth it- no, dumb-yes.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:35 PM   #581
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
Never have, but there was a time I probably would have. A feeling of the unknown being the worst part, plus thinking you could do something to mitigate problems, plus preventing looting after the fact and being scared of being denied re-entry would top the list. Worth it- no, dumb-yes.

This coupled with being snarled on a clogged road for hours. We had folks who were stuck in vehicles so long in the scorching heat trying to evacuate for Rita that they were dying. Several died trying to just leave. Then they wouldn't let us come back. The thought that I'd rather risk it than do that again is easy to justify

Old 09-28-2022, 02:53 PM   #582
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Default hurricane season 2022

https://twitter.com/TheAstroNick/sta...79322599493632

These guys fly into hell on earth. I hate light turbulence on a united flight.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #583
Mike
Ten Point

I have a fishing guide friend that is staying put in Fort Meyers. He lives on the canal system. Retired ex military and owned several different businesses. He’s been doing a Facebook live every hour or so, his last venture outside, palm trees were down all over the place and his two big mango trees are knocked over.

There’s a lot of transplants in Florida as well as residents that have all dodged a bullet for quite some time, I see so many threads on Facebook from residents that state it’s just going to be a rain storm, this is nothing different than in the past. These folks don’t realize what is going to transpire today and tonight.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #584
Tyrex750
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

They are fixing to get leveled, people who stayed better start praying.
Tyrex750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #585
C-dubyah
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
This coupled with being snarled on a clogged road for hours. We had folks who were stuck in vehicles so long in the scorching heat trying to evacuate for Rita that they were dying. Several died trying to just leave. Then they wouldn't let us come back. The thought that I'd rather risk it than do that again is easy to justify

Rita was a horrible experience on the roads, no doubt. We spent 18 hours on a highway that should have only been a 5 hour trip. What Rita taught me is to leave earlier than everyone else. I would have already been in my safe spot before Ian hit Cuba.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:27 PM   #586
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Rita was a horrible experience on the roads, no doubt. We spent 18 hours on a highway that should have only been a 5 hour trip. What Rita taught me is to leave earlier than everyone else. I would have already been in my safe spot before Ian hit Cuba.
It taught me to leave last. My uncle waited 1 more day and there was no one on the road

Old 09-28-2022, 04:28 PM   #587
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Dreams

I will probably never bug out. House was built in 1949 and has seen the worst of the worst hurricanes, and the city has tippled the size of the bayou we drain into...
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #588
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:

At least for the storm surge areas, I have no clue. The majority of deaths associated with hurricanes is people drowning in the storm surge areas. It's mind blowing how fast and high the water comes up. Some people end up getting stuck as low lying coastal roads often flood hours before the actual storm makes landfall. If you are ever down in a coastal community or a canal bay community, look at the water level in relation to the piers, bulkheads, etc. Add say, 10 feet to that for an average surge and that puts water over just about everything not sitting several feet above sea level.

A bit further inland out of the surge areas, where the dangers turn more to wind and possible tornados, it sometimes makes more sense to stay. However, even with that, the typical hurricane build code is for winds up to around 120. So, if a Cat 4 or 5 is heading your way, you probably should get the heck out of dodge as well. Not to mention, you are looking at multiple days with no power after the storm passes.

Regardless, the bottom line is possessions can be replaced, lives cannot. Having lived through a few of these events, I don't wish these storms on anyone. Prayers sent out for all that will be impacted by this storm.
CaptainDave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #589
scott1022
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

I've lived my entire life in the path of hurricanes. It wasn't until working in Lake Charles and Bayou Dularge after the 2020/2021 hurricane seasons that I realized just how bad a hurricane can be. It's hard to understand until you personally experience it. Now, if I'm in the path of something similar, I'm probably heading north for a few days.
scott1022 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 04:38 PM   #590
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
https://twitter.com/TheAstroNick/sta...79322599493632

These guys fly into hell on earth. I hate light turbulence on a united flight.

That last one caught him off guard LOL
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 04:53 PM   #591
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Florida man being Florida man in Ft. Meyers. I saw this on a live feed today.

salth2o is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #592
Cardinal
Eight Point

Hunt In: Henderson Co./Anderson Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
That last one caught him off guard LOL
That along with the other guy hurling in the barf bag right before that, lol. Those guys are nuts.
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 05:07 PM   #593
Twist
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post

Florida Man Hurricane Ian - YouTube
Let us pray (that he hadnít previously reproduced).
Twist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 05:29 PM   #594
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post

Florida Man Hurricane Ian - YouTube
What the heck was he doing? Wanting to swim back in?! lol
Old 09-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #595
trophy8
Pope & Young

“House still intact. White caps on road behind me. So far no water in house which I’m grateful for. Thx for checking”

Ex stepmom in North Port Florida. She stayed. Freaking white caps on the road! Wild man. Wild lol. Info came from my SIL
Old 09-28-2022, 05:47 PM   #596
MAP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Live Oak, Jim Wells, Dimmit Counties

2mph from a catagory 5.....i bet thats on purpose. My feeling is this will start to be referred to as a cat. 5 now that the storm has made land fall. I bet they tried to keep the panic down by calling it a cat 4 instead of a cat 5 earlier today
MAP is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 06:24 PM   #597
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
2mph from a catagory 5.....i bet thats on purpose. My feeling is this will start to be referred to as a cat. 5 now that the storm has made land fall. I bet they tried to keep the panic down by calling it a cat 4 instead of a cat 5 earlier today
Huh? Our press thrives on fear?
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:31 PM   #598
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post

Insurance. They did the same last year in Louisiana. My weather app has had it at a Cat5 since mid morning. I even took a snap shot

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:41 PM   #599
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller County, Rocksprings and "H"

Check out some of these videos

https://twitter.com/comfy_goat/statu...lzippers.us%2F
kurt68 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:47 PM   #600
waterdog
Pope & Young

big prayers for the fl folks tonight. hate riding a storm out at night...https://poweroutage.us/area/state/florida
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top