Need input Building a new detached garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need input Building a new detached garage

We are building a new detached garage. In the past, there were threads on what would you wish you built into your house. Well, I’d like to know what you wish or did build into your garage that you really like or can’t live without.

The dimensions of the garage are 40’ wide x 50’ deep x 16’ interior wall height.

The front overhead doors are 12’ wide x 14’ high.
    Attached Files

Add a shower and kill the side overhead door.
    Can't tell much else because I can't enlarge and read the writing.

Comment

with the size doors, sounds like you are gonna bring in an Rv. set up electrical connection as well as a black water drain. Also, fresh water connection. Put in 50 amp outlets for a welding machine(now or in the future). Wire for future endeavors. Also, keep in mind air movement. Fans and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll add a shower.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          with the size doors, sounds like you are gonna bring in an Rv. set up electrical connection as well as a black water drain. Also, fresh water connection. Put in 50 amp outlets for a welding machine(now or in the future). Wire for future endeavors. Also, keep in mind air movement. Fans and such.
          Thank you!

RV on one side and Boat on the other.

It’s getting plumbed for all RV hookups including black water drain.
          Added a couple floor drains as well.

I’m hoping with overhead doors on 3 sides, I’ll have a good cross breeze.

What kind of fans would you recommend? Wall fans, ceiling fans or drum fans at the doors?

Comment

your heat gonna be high. Put a fan in one of the gable ends...which ever is on the south end.

Comment

I don't believe he is going to add heat as he has a house already. Being in New Braunfels probably not worth it to add anyway.

Comment

Hard to tell the roof height but if it's tall enough put a loft in the attic space with a permanent staircase to access it. You may have to change your roofline but you will not regret an easy access storage loft.

Comment

I don't believe he is going to add heat as he has a house already. Being in New Braunfels probably not worth it to add anyway.
                  Not sure if that was directed at my post. I was just saying to put a fan at the top of the gable end on the south side to push air through. If it was to something else...my apologies.

not to heat it but to push air through the high ceilings to keep it cooler.

Comment

Not big enough….

Learning from out last mistakes….I’m now building a separate shop/barn just for tools and clean storage. Bringing in vehicles invites dust and leaving doors open just makes it worse.

Everything stored in the open area gets dusty and filthy.

Hard pipe for overhead air reels, enclose a compressor area, think about your slides and doors on the rv….it will feel cramped if you open it up inside with another vehicle inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                      Not sure if that was directed at my post. I was just saying to put a fan at the top of the gable end on the south side to push air through. If it was to something else...my apologies.

not to heat it but to push air through the high ceilings to keep it cooler.
                      I guess I took it wrong.

Comment

This. We have a full bath in ours at the coast, gets used often.

Comment

I’m a hotrod guy so I’d have provisions for a car lift.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                            Hard to tell the roof height but if it's tall enough put a loft in the attic space with a permanent staircase to access it. You may have to change your roofline but you will not regret an easy access storage loft.
                            Thank you for this great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              Not big enough….

Learning from out last mistakes….I’m now building a separate shop/barn just for tools and clean storage. Bringing in vehicles invites dust and leaving doors open just makes it worse.

Everything stored in the open area gets dusty and filthy.

Hard pipe for overhead air reels, enclose a compressor area, think about your slides and doors on the rv….it will feel cramped if you open it up inside with another vehicle inside.
                              I wish I could make it bigger. But I’m limited to 40x50. We will keep our cars and trucks in the attached garage. This one is just for the Boat and RV. Maybe put the Mule and Tractor in it as well if we can get them to fit.

Enclosing the compressor is a great idea. Thank you Sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X