My daughter had success in Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter had success in Colorado

My daughter and I just got back from Colorado where she had drawn a tag for 6 units near Colorado Springs for buck antelope.

This was going to be my daughters 1st trip out west to hunt and my 1st time to go after antelope on my own.

She drew muzzleloader and in Colorado no scope is allowed so not only are we going to have to learn how to shoot a new type of gun but she is also going to
    have to learn to shoot open sights.

Fast forward to the hunt. We drove up Sunday and stopped by the areas we had to hunt to get a jump start on scouting in the morning. I had found 4 pieces of trust land to hunt on but we were just going to target 2 of the closest to our hotel. We had a 10k acre tract and a 50k tract of land available to hunt.

Plan was to start out at the closest spot to our hotel and then check parking spots along the way and target pronghorn closer to the road. At every stop we found at least a pronghorn. We passed on one young buck and had 2 other blown stalks at the 1st 3 parking areas.

At our 4 stop of the morning we are learning a bunch and we quickly realize this is going to be tough to accomplish. I even stated if this doesn’t work we may end up having to sit water. My daughter and I love to stalk and hunt aggressively so the thought of sitting water was a boring idea to us.

We spot 2 bucks in the corner of the property and start our stalk. I thought I had a good plan but things did not go as planned.

We went light and only took a decoy, gun, and shooting sticks. We were going to stay in a ditch that crossed the property and pop out the top and cut off the feeding bucks. Well we were able to get into position about 450 yards away from them but they never fed our way they just stood there.

We had no choice if we wanted to get one of these to belly crawl the entire way. My daughter had no idea what she was getting herself into.

It took us a little over 2 hours to cover 310 yards and get to 140 yards. This was really further than we wanted to shoot but she was exhausted and bruised and scratched up from crawling over all the rocks, cactus and grass.

We both sat up and I put up the tripod. She steadied her aim and slowly squeezed the trigger. Click. Nothing.

Oh crud. I grab the muzzleloader and ask her for another cap and replaced the one on it. The pronghorn stayed calm. She was able to take a second to aim again and this time the gun fired. The pronghorn dropped in his tracks and our 1st hunt out west together was over!!!

I am over the moon about the entire trip. We made the most of our time and went to Pike’s Peak and Garden of the Gods while we were there. I’ll post a bunch of pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s awesome! love the smiles!

Comment

1st night we ate dinner at the Airplane restaurant. It was a neat place that was built around this plane.

We did some scouting Sunday evening and Monday morning. I located all of the parking spots on the two properties and did some scouting along the way and locating several pronghorn bucks

Comment

After we scouted in the morning we decided to go to Pikes Peak. This was such an incredible experience for my daughter and I. My daughter is pretty reserved and it takes a bunch to get her excited. That drive up Pikes peak may have been life changing for her. She was all smiles and amazed at every sight. I have never in my life seen her in such awe!! She told me that she will live in the mountains now because of this trip. I could just see the wheels turning in her head with all of her future plans. It was just incredible

Comment

We had her antelope on ice by 1:00 so we decided to keep busy and go visit Garden of the Gods. The pictures do not do it justice. An incredibly beautiful place.

This hunt was not easy and did not come easy but I would not have had it any other way. I cannot tell you how proud I am of my daughter!

Comment

Comment

Thrilled for you and your daughter! Hard work pays off!

Comment

That's awesome! Congrats to the young lady!

Comment

Glad y’all had a great trip Cale! Congrats on the goat!

Comment

Congrats on a Great trip! Great memories for Life!

Comment

What an Epic trip and Hunt, with that shot and equipment she's pulled off what most people will never achieve.

Gonna be hard to top that story around a camp fire- 310 yard crawl, open sights, muzzle loader, 140 yards shot- wowzers. Good thing she has young eye's- I can barely make out a target bullseye at 100 much less 140.

A memory y'all will share forever. Congrats!

Comment

Great shot young lady,amazing hunt,great write up dad.U should be proud,priceless memories,thx for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Fantastic trip. Congrats to both of y’all

Comment

Heck of a thread…congrats to your girl

Comment

Congratulations to both of you. What a great dad making memories

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X