No announcement yet.

Ruger GP100 any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regrettably sold mine, it was a shooter.

Comment

Bill Ruger asked three well known lawmen what they liked about Smith & Wesson, Colt and Ruger revolvers. The GP-100 is a compilation of these three person's likes of the revolvers. For the first 3 or 4 years GP-100 pistols were only sold to officers of the law before finally hitting the civilian market.

They are some of the finest revolvers on the market.

The three gentlemen responsible for the revolver being built as is were Col. Charles Askins, Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton.

Comment

Ruger GP100 any good?

They are well built revolvers. Not as smooth and refined as a S&W or Colt but well built and stout none the less.

I would have a hard time paying $800 for a plain vanilla one. I had one of the Talo target models that was super nice but I sold it before I ever fired it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ruger's answer to the Taurus Ragin Bull. Both are heavy. Both will have one cylinder that is less accurate than the other 5. Don't know why but that's the way it is.

Comment

My next wheel gun I think.

Comment

I own a 6 in stainless. Best built gun I’ve ever owned. 800 sounds a little high.

Comment

Cheapest GP100 on gunbroker right now is $782.00
                But you gotta pay shipping and FFL fees. Most are higher. I’d say that’s a good price for a new one. Great guns, built like a tank.

Comment

Ruger GP100 any good?

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  Ruger's answer to the Taurus Ragin Bull. Both are heavy. Both will have one cylinder that is less accurate than the other 5. Don't know why but that's the way it is.

Wow, you just reminded me of a time I numbered the cylinders in my .44 mag seeking out the most accurate one.
                  I’ve done forgot that was a thing.

I need to remember when dialing in my latest scoped wheelgun.

I always thought the GP100’s were really good looking pistols. If they sold a 7 or 8 shot 357 I’d probably add it to the stable.

Something about a 7+ revolver seems attractive to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                    Wow, you just reminded me of a time I numbered the cylinders in my .44 mag seeking out the most accurate one.
                    I’ve done forgot that was a thing.

I need to remember when dialing in my latest scoped wheelgun.

I always thought the GP100’s were really good looking pistols. If they sold a 7 or 8 shot 357 I’d probably add it to the stable.

Something about a 7+ revolver seems attractive to me.
                    I am almost positive that Ruger still makes a 7 shot GP100, but I know they did at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfootwolff View Post
                      I am almost positive that Ruger still makes a 7 shot GP100, but I know they did at one time.

Oh snap you’re right-

In selecting a handgun for protection, oftentimes double-action revolvers are dismissed as choices due only to their limited capacity. But that has changed somewhat, as viable, familiar wheelgun platforms have, of late, been updated with increased-capacity cylinders.

What a beauty, just nudged out a EEA 10mm on the wants list.

My wife’s spiders senses are probably going off right now at my level of attraction towards that thang [emoji51].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Ruger GP100 Match Champion, it is a nice gun.

Comment

I had one for 22 years. Sold it here on TBH. Gun was an awesome shooter. Killed a bunch of pigs with it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't plan to ever sell mine.

Comment

Bougnt mine 27 years ago. It's still a shooter and is on my hip or in my pack anytime I am at the lease.

Comment

it is most certainly a great gun,, and there is nothing magic about putting a spring kit in one to make the trigger much nicer,,,,, even then it might not make it as slick as a worked on s&w trigger , but will hang with them in accuracy most of the time ( individual guns from either can be superb or less than ideal like any other gun),, 800 is about the average going price now,,, and they are stronger than the s&w,,, if you like it, get it spring kits are under $20

Comment

Working...
                                X