Painting brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting brick

Has anyone ever painted their brick house? We are considering doing to give the house a face lift and hopefully it will help seal the brick some too. I’ve watched a few videos and it seems straight forward. My main concern is it flaking off.

Any tips would be great.

Done it on several remodels. Always looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have not done it personally but it’s a common practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        Done it on several remodels. Always looks great.

Anything special I need to do?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
          Anything special I need to do?

I honestly don’t know, Chris. I have a painting subcontractor that I use. I do know it’s primed first, but I’m not sure with what. The first one I did was 2017 and it still looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            I honestly don’t know, Chris. I have a painting subcontractor that I use. I do know it’s primed first, but I’m not sure with what. The first one I did was 2017 and it still looks great.

Do you know if they typically spray it or roll it? I’ve seen both. I’ll be wanting to spray mine. I feel like that’s the best way to get in all the cracks.

Comment

Don't worry about painting if you don't prepare it right. That is the key. I painted my parents brick store about 20 years ago. At the same time a building on other corner of block also did. They just painted and within 5 years it was faded. I power washed and primed and then painted. I used a roller with like a 3/4 or 1" nap. 20 years later, it looks like it was just painted still.

Comment

There’s few options if it’s unpainted currently you can use a mineral based paint that becomes part of the brick and allows the brick to still breathe like it’s ment to, Kiem or Romabio both make good mineral based products if you want to go Latex route it will have to primed with a masonry primer first most common one is loxon from sw

Comment

Depending on condition of the brick and mortar, prime with Sherwin-Williams Loxon Conditioner or Loxon Masonry Primer. Topcoat with a quality acrylic coating like Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint Or Duration following specs. Doesn’t matter if you roll or spray. Either gets it from bucket to substrate, though I prefer spray. The key is proper prep and applying the primer and topcoat at the recommended thickness.

I’ve worked for SW for nearly 30 yrs. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                    Depending on condition of the brick and mortar, prime with Sherwin-Williams Loxon Conditioner or Loxon Masonry Primer. Topcoat with a quality acrylic coating like Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint Or Duration following specs. Doesn’t matter if you roll or spray. Either gets it from bucket to substrate, though I prefer spray. The key is proper prep and applying the primer and topcoat at the recommended thickness.

I’ve worked for SW for nearly 30 yrs. Feel free to message me with any questions.
                    Thanks! I appreciate it!

Comment

1st, you have to power wash all the brick if it's not new construction.
                      2nd, prime it with sprayer when you know all masonry is dry. North side too. About 5 days without rain in warm weather.
                      3rd, day later is okay to apply your samples. Check them next day.
                      4th, pick your color and apply with sprayer.

Comment

Working...
                      X