X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allegro / Uncle Chris

Smoke to 120

Sear to MR.

Better when you dry age them for 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

Man you have my wheels turning. I'm anti-marinade but a coke flavored steak doesn't sound like a bad thing. Perhaps finish it with a scoop of home made vanilla instead of a pat of butter.

Save it for a sirloin, tablitas or fajitas...

Comment

If you cook a ribeye (a good one) with anything more than S&P and butter you just don’t know

must be course ground pepper, kosher salt (heavy) nuke some unsalted butter with a crushed clove of garlic and fresh parsley pour it on before the rest and tent. Cook over a super hot charcoal fire to your liking.
        Last edited by Jcjohnson; 08-31-2022, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Steak— Marinade or don’t marinate
          Chili — Beans or no beans
          Bow Hunting— Pistol or no pistol
          First date— Hit it or don’t hit it
          Hunting—High fence or Low fence
          Feeding—Corn or protein
          Relationships— Marry or don’t marry
          Responses— Good grief or Hands down

I’m so confused.

Comment

Will also add pepper after the “hard sear.”

Comment

I personally like SPG for quality (prime or sometimes choice) ribeyes. However, if you are cooking a select ribeye, sometimes a marinade may be needed if, for nothing else than to tenderize it. I tend to be in the SPG camp with ALL quality steaks, and no butter at the end. I have used some premade steak mixes (Uncle Chris' is a good one, and the copy cat Texas Roadhouse is another) that are mighty tasty. Dale's marinade for 5 minutes and then topped off with fresh ground pepper is pretty darn good on a sirloin or NY strip. I would argue the best thing you can do for a steak dinner is buy the best quality steak that you can. Prime vs Select is a HUGE difference in taste and tenderness.

As far as the anti-marinade folks go, those that salt/season well in advance of grilling, this is called a dry brine, and is a form of marinade.

There is a reason why marinades/dry brining is so good. I believe Serious Eats did a test on when it is best to salt a steak a few years ago. They came back with the best being 40 minutes or longer before grilling. This allows the salt to draw moisture out and be reabsorbed by the steak. The second best time is directly before throwing it on the grill. The reasoning is anything less than 40 minutes and the salt is drawing moisture out but it doesn't have time to be reabsorbed by the steak so your steak won't be as juicy. Right before grilling and the salt doesn't have time to draw the moisture out.

Variety is the spice of life people, and eating the same thing all the time can get boring. For those that only cook a steak one way, I urge you to try some of the others mentioned on here. You may be surprised

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                I know it does work great on ducks!
                i like to add orange juice to it for ducks

Comment

First thing you have to do is let steak reach room temp before you cook it. Put a generous amount of Jalapeno butter seasoning. Cook it in a hot cast iron skillet with a stick of butter.

Comment

We're having big t bones this weekend for deer "camp". They'll get some smoked sea salt with dried serrano peppers mix then hit a hot cast iron pan.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                        First thing you have to do is let steak reach room temp before you cook it. Put a generous amount of Jalapeno butter seasoning. Cook it in a hot cast iron skillet with a stick of butter.
                        A whole stick of real butter………is ALOT of butter

Comment

After reading through this thread the other night and reading that someone along the way had put honey on a steak, I got a wild hair and rubbed a 1-3/4" thick boneless ribeye with Agave Nectar before I gave it a liberal dose of sea salt and course fresh ground pepper. Let it rest in the fridge for a few hours and then pulled it out about an hour before it went on the grill to get towards room temp. I can't say it was better than my normal steak without the Agave Nectar, but it definitely wasn't any worse either!

Comment

After reading all these posts some folks definitely know how to muck up the best cut of beef ever and should go ahead and relocate as far north as you can.

KISS is an understatement when properly preparing a ribeye. Salt, pepper and a pat of butter right before pulling it off the grill. That’s another thing, real wood hot enough to forge steel at 7 minutes per side. Let it rest 10 minutes and go to town on the best groceries God put on this planet.

Micheal

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                              Steak— Marinade or don’t marinate
                              Chili — Beans or no beans
                              Bow Hunting— Pistol or no pistol
                              First date— Hit it or don’t hit it
                              Hunting—High fence or Low fence
                              Feeding—Corn or protein
                              Relationships— Marry or don’t marry
                              Responses— Good grief or Hands down

I’m so confused.

Comment

I was raised in the country. We always just threw ours on a salt lick for an hour and threw on the fire for a couple minutes per side. Always came out perfect. (You gotta chain the dog back to the tree).

Comment

Working...
                                X