Homemade Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Wine

Besides grapes and peaches..... what other fruit can I use to make wine, looking for something different

blackberries

Comment

Pineapple ?

Comment

Prickly Pear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Watermelon

Comment

I liked to use the cactus tuna.

My last batch I forgot to take to strain the peel out and it ended up and clogging the vent hose and went BOOM inside the closet. Boy was that a mess...painted the 10' ceiling red.

Comment

Originally posted by KIETHSTONE View Post
              Prickly Pear

I second this.

Comment

elderberry

Comment

I've made grape, peach, watermelon, tomato, plum, raspberry, blackberry, mustang grape, apple, and some I forgot. The best was mustang and the least favorable was watermelon. The prettiest was the tomato.

Comment

Cactus apples.

Makes good jelly so its bound to be good

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

How am I’m gonna pick the pears off cactus?? I’m scared of snakes, headed to the lease this weekend too, any tips on picking them???
                      Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

I've got 5 gallons of apricot wine from this year's trees. Used to make about 25 gallons of apricot a year before we moved about 5 years ago. Plum and peach are good too. Tried watermelon and it never turned out well. I've even done cranapple and apple wine from gallons of juice and oceanspray. It's always turned out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                          How am I’m gonna pick the pears off cactus?? I’m scared of snakes, headed to the lease this weekend too, any tips on picking them???
                          Thanks for the suggestions

I use kitchen tongs

Comment

crab tongs!

Comment

So far, we have done Mustang grape, dewberry and then two batches of peach, using different peaches from different peach dealers in Fredericksburg. One batch of peaches we got, had a lot more flavor than the others, so we made two different batches of peach wine.

Our first batch of Mustang grape wine, we used a wine yeast that was good for around 9% alcohol, we let it go till it was done fermenting. We got around 9% alcohol and a very dry wine.

Then the dewberry, I got a 18% alcohol wine yeast, then let it go till it was done. We wound up with a alcohol that has a faint dewberry flavor, and lots of alcohol. It tastes like a dewberry flavored vodka.

Then the two peach wines, we used a wine yeast that has a potential for 14% alcohol and is supposed to bring out the flavor of the fruit being used. We killed both batches way too early, because my wife wanted a sweet wine. We wound up with what tastes like a peach mead, very thick and sweet, with about 6% alcohol.

I came up with the idea of mixing the dewberry and the peach wines that we made. That actually makes a pretty good drink. With those two wines being on the opposite end of the wine spectrum as far as alcohol content and sweetness.

That has gotten me to thinking about doing some Sangrias. Not sure if I should make multiple different wines, and then mix them once they are done, that way I can experiment with the ratio of the various wines, that are being mixed.

Currently we are working on bottling our second attempt at doing Mustang Grape, we used the same yeast that we used for the peach wines. We killed it a bit early, to get a sweet wine, but not as early as the two batches of peach wine. It actually came out very good, I am pretty impressed. I am not a wine drinker, but it's actually a pretty good wine. It's around 9% alcohol.

I intended to make some dewberry again this year, but I was busy working when they were ripe, they did not last long, by the time I went looking for some, they were all gone. I would like to try the dewberry again, with the yeast we have now, and then kill it a bit early, so we don't wind up with such a dry wine. Because my wife and other females in the family, are who would be drinking the stuff. So we try to make wines that they like.

I try drinking small amounts of the wines we have made, to try to better understand how the various changes affect the way the wine comes out. In the past, I flat would not drink any wine. I tried a few times, and just flat hate the stuff. I can drink the stuff we have made, but not much of most of them. The current one, is actually pretty good, but still a wine, I still have to follow up with some Jack Daniels or Rebecca Creek.

Comment

Working...
                              X