Rhino blind rod replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rhino blind rod replacement

For those of you getting ready to take down your pop up blinds or those who have broken rods, here’s a cheaper fix.
    First let me say that I replaced a rod on a brand new rhino blind several years back and I believe they were free replacements. It was an easy fix back then! Now the rods are $19.99 a piece. I purchased a fiberglass rod 48 inches from Tractor Supply yesterday for $1.88. Today I removed the poles and hub system and went to remove the end metal piece from the rod that slips into the hub. No such Luck!!! Evidently they glue the rods into the metal piece so they won’t slip out and so you will have to purchase a new one from them. I tried everything to break the rod loose from the end metal piece and it wouldn’t budge. I decided to cut the rod off pretty close to flush with the metal end and then drill the rod out. It worked perfectly! I slid the new rod into the metal piece and it was loose. I used the narrow pointed end as it had a sales sticker on the end and it helped it to seat in there good. You could also put some tape around it to do the same thing. I then marked the rod the same length as the other rods and cut it to size. I cut approximately 5-1/4 inches off the 48 inch rod. I went back to the stand and reattached the hub system to the blind. It worked perfectly.
    I just wanted to give some of you guys a heads up that there is a way cheaper fix out there! Good Luck and Happy Hunting or Fishing!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by parkchief100; 03-06-2022, 12:52 PM.

Thanks!

I need to see how long the rods are for the Double Bulls

Comment

I just looked at one of my Rhino's this very morning that needs this procedure. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

That's good stuff there. Thanks for sharing

Comment

I have had really good luck getting the metal tips off the old rods by heating them with a lighter. Once warmed, the glue lets go easily.

Comment

That is exactly how I do mine as well!

Good Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
              I have had really good luck getting the metal tips off the old rods by heating them with a lighter. Once warmed, the glue lets go easily.
              I just replaced another rod today and I tried the lighter trick. No such luck for me! As I tried to twist the carbon rod with a pair of channel locks, it just broke little by little. I had to drill it out again but it’s still a cheap fix!
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X