No announcement yet.

best .223/5.56 for hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard all my life of bullets skipping off javelin and hogs foreheads but I have never seen it happen or proof of it. Even with a rimfire shooting hogs in a trap and looking right at me. In my .556 I load 55pr hornady spire points.

Comment

Originally posted by Take em View Post
      Hornady Spire Point in 55gr. End of discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not even have to shoot them in the head. .223 55gr Hornady SP. took about 20 seconds to take these 6 in the woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

its a 1:7 twist, what typically works?

Comment

I am going to try 77 Grain Tipped Match Kings in mine once APR finishes the build.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            I've heard all my life of bullets skipping off javelin and hogs foreheads but I have never seen it happen or proof of it. Even with a rimfire shooting hogs in a trap and looking right at me. In my .556 I load 55pr hornady spire points.
            I scalped one with a 270 shooting ballistic tip Winchester. It will deflect.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              I have done it twice now, once with .223 and once with the 7.62x39, Both were facing me, head up and about a hundred yards. Both got up after about 30 seconds to a minute and ran off. Now if I have to take that shot, I just shoot them again while they are laying on the ground.

Comment

I've killed about 20 hogs with 73gr ELD-Ms.
                They come in a factory load.
                Biggest one was 250+, many close to 200. One shot. Most are one shot unless I make a poor shot (only a couple).

Comment

55gr SP swab out the ol' ear hole real good!

Comment

I’ve had good luck with the 55 gr Hornady sp too

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                      its a 1:7 twist, what typically works?
                      A 1:7 will stabilize any factory ammo you can find for it.

If you want cheap, find the cheapest 55gr soft point you can. If you want something a little better, any of the 60+ gr offerings out there will do fine.

Comment

FMJ. Hit um about three times in the stomach and let um RUN and die TIRED. Bahahahaha

Comment

Fiocchi 55gr soft points are some of the most accurate I've ever shot in my bolt gun and cheap to boot. I've seen some big deer killed with Barnes bullets as well. Shot placement is key.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                            I am going to try 77 Grain Tipped Match Kings in mine once APR finishes the build.
                            These bullets are absolutely deadly

Comment

I've killed a ton of hogs and deer with 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips out of a Rock River Coyote Rifle. Last year, I built a really lightweight AR and it didn't like the Ballistic Tips. But it DID like 55 grain Sierra Blitzkings. So I killed a bunch of stuff with them last year. All head / neck shots, though.

Comment

Originally posted by jrbb00 View Post
                                Any grain that will shot straight would be my recomendation but if you can have someone reload you some find some Sierra 55 grain BTHP's have used them for years and have never gotten a complaint from any animal I shot.
                                These are awesome for anything. They’ve been out of stock but I buy them when I can find them

Comment

Working...
                                X